New here have a lighting question

Shanephillips27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all im very excited to get going i have a few questions first question is i recently purchased the orbit marine led for my tank i only plan on going lps and softies. Will this light be good? Next question is if not should i add a 2nd one of these? Or should i go with a reef radiance dm165p or an ocean revive t247? Please all help is appreciated :)

OP
OP
S

Shanephillips27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size is a 66 gal cube tank its 32 long 24 front to back and 20 tall the orbit marine i have now is a 24 to 36 inch fixture and it sits on top of the tank

Tank.Bro!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah your fine, with those high brand LEDs they usually have a nice spread so yeah you'll be good, now say it doesn't work go get a square led because it will give great spread,

OP
OP
S

Shanephillips27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks ive been getting so overwelmed with the lighting situation theres so many opinions some people are saying it wont be strong enough cause there only .25 watt leds and that i need to use 3 watt leds ugh lol just so confusing and then people say get a radion umm ya no not for 700 dollars lol and then i see the cheaper ones like ocean revive and reef radiance and im like whats the difference other than price? Lol but i do like my current usa orbit marine its really nice got 2 different whites and 2 different blues!! Oh yeah and then some people even say u have to have a full spectrum led with all colors to even grow corals? Man am i confused lol and havent even started yet

Tank.Bro!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so mainly the price difference in lights is because of demand lifespan and size, now say you have a 78.99 Chinese led vs. a marine orbit 156.99. The Marine orbit comes with moonlight more settings timer ect. Chinese LEDs come with a dimmer and on and off they only last about 3 years where as marine orbits may last up to 8 years. Full spectrum is something that you should have for corals but not 100 percent needed I don't have it and I grow corals, all it really affects is the way te colors are and how deep it goes into the water so if your tank is like a tall rectangle yeah you need a way more powerful light than a standard wide rectangle. Cubes are tricky so it takes a lot of testing to find the right light. Watts is what you need to worry about 66 gallons needs about a 275 watt led for Max coral growth on Lps and softies if you want any sps be prepared to see a 375 watt. A lot of light differ depending on you preferable I have Chinese LEDs that work fine for me, but others say not bright enough. I can grow health Lps and some sps so I'm not concerned. How many watts is your light?

Tank.Bro!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wait sorry I got the full spectrum confused yes you will want full spectrum like so
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417966850.084098.jpg
this is without my blues/actinic a here is with them
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417966901.354127.jpg
so yes they are better. Lights without it are usually made for freshwater

Tank.Bro!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand that light but it is made for reefs so your fine, and it has more than full spectrum it has a gradual sunrise an gradual sun set and full day cycle so it's an amazing light...

Tank.Bro!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah your light isn't the same as a normal one since you have all the cycling of day to night it has a small wattage but huge surface area spread so each led contacts each inch of water about 3 times more so that is where your 3 watts come in. Nice led so no worries...

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back