OP
OP
AyCee

AyCee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks cheery. I do have one concern. . . . . and might as well bring this to light. From looks of tank, May I assume this tank is very new ?
How long did you cycle it before adding any livestock?
I ask because you have a couple of specimens (filefish and pipefish in particular) that are challenging to the most experienced hobbyist and best kept in a well established tank. The difficulty is getting them to eat and remain eating as their desire to have top water quality for survival.
A new tank will go through spikes and changes in chemistry the first 60-90 days.
You will therefore need to monitor the water weekly, in fact 2x a week for the next 6 weeks and if you are using an API test kit and ammonia badge, these two are notorious for false readings and have let down many reefers in the hobby.
You will need reliable kits.
This is not to discourage you but rather prepare you . There is a level of excitement entering the world of reefing and ocean in your home and i/we would love to see you enjoy every single moment of it.
Hi there! All feedback is welcomed here! ☺️ We have had this tank running since Sept, so 5 months strong. We decided to start hatching our own brine and let me tell you our pipefish and filefish love’em! It’s much cheaper (and easy) than buying frozen. We are also introducing copepods into our system for them - a little variety won’t hurt.

We do 25% water changes every week and have not had any ammonia spikes. We do use the api ammonia test and we hate the inconclusive results. Not sure if there is an affordable solid ammonia tester out there...after looking around R2R I noticed this is a common problem, yet no solution.

Attachments

• 2512480E-CF95-4734-AEAB-F9FB108916EA.jpeg
    2512480E-CF95-4734-AEAB-F9FB108916EA.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 26

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi there! All feedback is welcomed here! ☺️ We have had this tank running since Sept, so 5 months strong. We decided to start hatching our own brine and let me tell you our pipefish and filefish love’em! It’s much cheaper (and easy) than buying frozen. We are also introducing copepods into our system for them - a little variety won’t hurt.

We do 25% water changes every week and have not had any ammonia spikes. We do use the api ammonia test and we hate the inconclusive results. Not sure if there is an affordable solid ammonia tester out there...after looking around R2R I noticed this is a common problem, yet no solution.
Great job on management of feeding,
hanna or salifert are reliable and user friendly

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back