New house, New build

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious how you gas off your ro before the di? I also suspect I have high co2 levels
I have the RO water go into a 44 gallon brute. Then I aerate it for 24 hours. After which I have a little maxijet push it thru the DI canister. It's a bit extra work, but I went from using an entire canister after 75 gallons to now i'm at about 200 gallons and the DI is just starting to change at the bottom.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@littlebeard Very interesting! I had no idea you could. I had to aerate this winter before mixing up a batch of saltwater or I'd have super low ph levels. Thanks again!

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady wins the reefing race, but you are already off to a nice start.
Sure does! I’ve learned from previous tanks what I like and don’t and I’m going to be putting everything towards this tank. Thank you!

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to have a gravity fed ato on this tank. I know all of the pros and cons and have made up my mind. Now my question is what does everyone use for a 1/4” bulkhead? My ato container will be a brute container. What would be the best way to connect a 1/4” tubing to the brute container?

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to have a gravity fed ato on this tank.
Interesting idea. I read a little bit about it, but this is basically the idea of putting your finger on a straw if I understand this correctly. Or did I not get it at all? How are you planning on sealing the top of your brute?

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea. I read a little bit about it, but this is basically the idea of putting your finger on a straw if I understand this correctly. Or did I not get it at all? How are you planning on sealing the top of your brute?
I will be inspecting float valve daily if not weekly and plan to replace the float every couple of months to avoid issues. Yes there are stories of the float getting stuck on the on position but I’ve been using them for years now and have had great luck. I have used an electronic float valve on my last tank and had nothing but problems so I’m going back to the old ways. I did plan on having it covered.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,as far as hole in can ,1/2"-3/4" bulk head ,and reduce down. just a thought :cool:

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi ,as far as hole in can ,1/2"-3/4" bulk head ,and reduce down. just a thought :cool:
Thank you sir! I did think about this but I wasn’t sure if they made a wet version of the 1/4” bulkhead.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm not sure either :rolleyes: but larger allows to empty faster if ever in need..;)threaded reducers..:cool:

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally started making water at the house planning on bringing some of my live rock over to my temporary tank to get it cycled, plan on bringing all my live stock over here in the next week our so. I have been missing not having a tank! I put new filters in my ro unit last night I only have a 75 gpd unit I’m thinking I need to upgrade that. Any suggestions on a new unit? I’ve been looking at the marine depot ones what do you all think?

Attachments

• 3FA52508-14C1-4F10-BA5E-15C36146DB29.png
    3FA52508-14C1-4F10-BA5E-15C36146DB29.png
    449.6 KB · Views: 45

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally started making water at the house planning on bringing some of my live rock over to my temporary tank to get it cycled, plan on bringing all my live stock over here in the next week our so. I have been missing not having a tank! I put new filters in my ro unit last night I only have a 75 gpd unit I’m thinking I need to upgrade that. Any suggestions on a new unit? I’ve been looking at the marine depot ones what do you all think?
Is there a reason you would want to change? To my knowledge the rodi unit is just a bunch of connectors hooked up to some filters. If you wanted to change the output of your ro system, you would just need to change the ro membrane and add a new restrictor. If you want to add more pre-ro filtering it would be just adding some canisters with filters and change the line so they flow to those before the ro-memebrane (DI after).

Maybe there's more than I'm understanding, but why change the housing/plumbling for the ro/di system?

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you would want to change? To my knowledge the rodi unit is just a bunch of connectors hooked up to some filters. If you wanted to change the output of your ro system, you would just need to change the ro membrane and add a new restrictor. If you want to add more pre-ro filtering it would be just adding some canisters with filters and change the line so they flow to those before the ro-memebrane (DI after).

Maybe there's more than I'm understanding, but why change the housing/plumbling for the ro/di system?
I am going to monitor and see how my 4 stage unit works I have an extra canister I could add at any time, I’m gettin pretty good pressure from my water line into the unit itself. But these new ro systems come with booster pumps built in so that would be nice to up it a tad. My main reason for wanting a new one is for more gpd since I’m upping my water volume by a significant amount and because I want the water saving part as well. But I will be seeing how my four stage unit does for now for future plans.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pretty cool feature.

I like all the controlled stuff to it. If you do get it, you'll have to let me know how you like.
It all seems nice the one thing I like about my unit is it’s so basic there isn’t much on it which makes it super simple. Don’t get me wrong I love all the controlling options but more things to go wrong. But I will definitely let you know!

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree do it.... built in pump..dual monitors ;Woot :cool:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back