NEW(ish) REEFER!

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! COVID has forced me to start up (another) hobby!

I was a marine biologist at an aquarium for 4 years, 4 years ago. Since then I quit working at the aquarium to get my masters in environmental engineering.
Now that I have down time I am really missing getting my arms wet.

So, I bought a 40gallon setup off facebook marketplace and converting it from fresh to salt (all new equipment).

I decided to add a HOB overflow to convert the tank to a sump system.
As an aquarist, our sumps were extremely basic--so i am confused as to why these sumps for sale are so expensive.
these compartments are "cool" but completely unnecessary. just use a filter bag, and make sure your return pump is guarded by some floss.
That was our setup..... simple!

so if anyone can explain the benefit to purchasing a divided sump that costs $250+ that would be great because I am truly confused.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I was also at a public aquarium for 4 years, good to have you here.

If you can use something else as a sump I personally see no need to spend that kind of cash on one. You know how utilitarian sumps and some equipment can be and still work well.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Clownfish.gif

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! COVID has forced me to start up (another) hobby!

I was a marine biologist at an aquarium for 4 years, 4 years ago. Since then I quit working at the aquarium to get my masters in environmental engineering.
Now that I have down time I am really missing getting my arms wet.

So, I bought a 40gallon setup off facebook marketplace and converting it from fresh to salt (all new equipment).

I decided to add a HOB overflow to convert the tank to a sump system.
As an aquarist, our sumps were extremely basic--so i am confused as to why these sumps for sale are so expensive.
these compartments are "cool" but completely unnecessary. just use a filter bag, and make sure your return pump is guarded by some floss.
That was our setup..... simple!

so if anyone can explain the benefit to purchasing a divided sump that costs $250+ that would be great because I am truly confused.

Simple answer, the high tech sump is made for the reef market. A simple box can't command an insanely high price.

Also, having some compartments is nice, one for the skimmer, or a reactor, and return pump separation serves to keep bubbles and flotsam from causing issues in the system. All these same services can be accomplished in a no-baffles-sump but folks like to make their reef tank systems as high-tech as any other sewage treatment plant, perhaps? :)

Welcome to Reef2Reef.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back