New light after 3+ years, fish swim around now.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After over 3 years with an AI Hydra 52HD, set to a pretty high setting and with cool whites cranked up (because I really disliked the look otherwise), I upgraded to a Reefi Uno with some standard SPS lighting program.

I have one chromis (killed the rest off early on), an orchid dottyback, and two clowns who live in a magnifica. They've been living well in the tank for the 3+ years now, but the chromis was always in the corner near the food, never swam around. The dottyback was always in the rockwork, never came out. The clowns, well, they just hang out in the nem. Even during feeding, they would usually not even approach the feeder, and wait for food to float by instead.

I figured they seemed healthy and fed, so it was fine.

Now with the new light, my chromis does laps around the tank all day, and my orchid dotty back comes out and swims around often as well. When the feeder was about to go off, I saw all the fish (except one of the clowns) swimming around waiting for the food eagerly.

The only difference is, the lights are a lot less "white" and I've kept them pretty blue.

OK, and admittedly there's one other thing that changed, but doubt it's doing anything, is I restarted my algae reactor with chaeto + dosing 3ml of Brightwell Chaetogro using my DOS doser. It runs on a reverse photo period.

Does the light really affect fish that much? Do they feel like they're "deeper" so they come out more because it's bluer? Could it be because the ph or something is more stable because of the reverse photo period with chaeto? Maybe the slight addition of chaetogro is freaking them out?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotal at best but I have also seen a change in behavior after switching to the mostly white stock fluval light that switched on and off only to a set of reef brites that are blue and 50/50 that don't shock the fish awake. I also have seen them very active and my firefish doesn't shy away for the day until meal time.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 72g tank is split so I can have different lighting on each side. The fish can swim freely between both sides. I have more white light on one side and the fish prefer to hang out on the side with bluer lighting. I have no idea why but that's what I have noticed.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i switched from t5 to gen 5 radions in the past month and had no noticeable change in fish behavior outside of the time i spent going through the demos (storm, disco, etc).
a week later i added a single pajama cardinal and it caused my fish to emerge and they've all been out since.
dither fish ftw!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back