New Live rock leaching ammonia

Tangina20

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2018
Messages
382
Reaction score
187
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought around 7 pound of live rock from a local reefer the rock was sitting out of water but was still moist for about a day and had some green hair algae on it. I scrubbed all of the algae off and let the live rock cure in a bucket for about 10 days with a powerhead and heater and have done 2 water changes on it. I’ve been testing for ammonia and phosphates with api test kit and I’m getting around .25 for both and I rested a few times and half of the time it’s 0 and half of the time it’s .25 I’m not sure if it’s my lighting in the house causing the color change or not should I assume putting a few pounds of this rock in is safe?
 
Api is fairly unreliable , but the die of of the bacteria wouldn’t surprise me.
Add some bacteria and let it cook
 
Are you planning on putting this rock in a new or established tank? If new, any livestock?
 
Are you planning on putting this rock in a new or established tank? If new, any livestock?
This is an established tank, I will just be swapping out a few of the old rocks for the new ones
 
If it isn't a large percentage, compared to the total rock that already exists, I wouldn't hesitate to add it.

Just be wary of quarantine procedures if you actively QT :)
 
If it isn't a large percentage, compared to the total rock that already exists, I wouldn't hesitate to add it.

Just be wary of quarantine procedures if you actively QT :)
I went ahead and did it thanks!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new