Frederick Edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love some guidance on what these are on my live rock. If you need better pictures or different angles let me know and will try my best.

Picture #1
IMAG0495.jpg

Picture#2
1530214931723160796213.jpg

Picture#3
IMAG0497.jpg

Picture#4
IMAG0498.jpg

Picture#5
IMAG0499.jpg

Picture#6
15302147789471445863631.jpg

Picture#7
1530214799014275421671.jpg

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P1 and P2 are some sot of cup coral (I can probably ID species if I take a little more time)
P3 is a tunicate
P4,P5,P6, and P7 are sponges of varying species
P8 is another tunicate, this time colonial

All are relatively harmless except the cup coral can technically sting but they favor darker areas so you should be fine

OP
OP
Frederick Edwards

Frederick Edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P1 and P2 are some sot of cup coral (I can probably ID species if I take a little more time)
P3 is a tunicate
P4,P5,P6, and P7 are sponges of varying species
P8 is another tunicate, this time colonial

All are relatively harmless except the cup coral can technically sting but they favor darker areas so you should be fine

Thanks for that. I was wondering if these might be aptasia?
IMAG0502_1.jpg

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. I was wondering if these might be aphasia?
IMAG0502_1.jpg
Cup corals, Phyllangia americana or Astrangia asteriaformes can't tell from the pics. Aiptasia is a semi-translucent brownish color with longer wavy tentacles and an oral disk that is like a shallow bowl. They usually have long thin stalks as well. And I assume you got your LR from Tampa Bay?

OP
OP
Frederick Edwards

Frederick Edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cup corals, Phyllangia americana or Astrangia asteriaformes can't tell from the pics. Aiptasia is a semi-translucent brownish color with longer wavy tentacles and an oral disk that is like a shallow bowl. They usually have long thin stalks as well. And I assume you got your LR from Tampa Bay?
Thanks. I will read up on the care for these. No, I got them from Salty Bottom

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I will read up on the care for these. No, I got them from Salty Bottom
Ah another good LR company, lot's of biodiversity. Care should be fairly easy. Most cup corals are azox so just get a turkey baster and blow some mysis shrimp onto their tentacles when their out. Should spread relatively quickly compared to other corals.

OP
OP
Frederick Edwards

Frederick Edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah another good LR company, lot's of biodiversity. Care should be fairly easy. Most cup corals are azox so just get a turkey baster and blow some mysis shrimp onto their tentacles when their out. Should spread relatively quickly compared to other corals.
OK. What about the sponges and the tunicates? Any advice on those please? Also the tank is still cycling. Got wet about two weeks ago.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the tnicate you probably need to feed several times a day to keep them alive. They are not photosynthetic.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. What about the sponges and the tunicates? Any advice on those please? Also the tank is still cycling. Got wet about two weeks ago.

Also I don't have any fish or critters that I know of in the tank yet.

Tunicates are particulate feeders so buy some phyto or culture you own and spot feed em. Placement doesn't matter too much as long as they have good flow (not weak and not blowing them off the rock). And for other stuff get a red light and look in the tank at night.

OP
OP
Frederick Edwards

Frederick Edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, I will look into everything we have been discussing. I'm sure I will have more questions. Looking forward to learning.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back