New Longnose Hawkfish Not Eating

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

As a longtime lurker on this forum, this wasn't how I expected to finally make an account, but I'm hoping someone can help me.

I've just about finished cycling my tank as of yesterday (0 ppm ammonia, .1 ppm Nitrite, 25 ppm Nitrate, 1.026 sg) and went to an LFS to pick up a fish to keep the tank going. I specifically wanted to go this one as I learned they strictly QT all their livestock, something I had never seen when I was previously in the hobby as a kid, so I figured something from there would be particularly resilient.

I was hoping to snag a Bangaii Cardinal, Chromis, or something else that would be especially hardy, but they literally had either a $150 1" platinum clown or a long nose hawkfish. Since the latter has been on my stock list for some time now, I went with him. I know he has been through a 14 day medicated quarantine and had been for sale for at least a further week and a half (I saw him when I came to buy a replacement heater), so I was comfortable he would be a decent candidate given my options. I also made sure the person working there fed him, and he ate their blend of frozen food pretty voraciously.

Fastforward to now, and I've still not gotten him to eat much at all. I tried pellets with no luck, and also tried a good chunk of thawed RODI's. He ate one, after watching it a long time, but otherwise let the rest swirl around him. He seems to see it, and he'll sometimes swim out to have a closer look, but will turn right back around to perch on his rock or two that he's picked out as his territory. I tried again just now to feed him (bought him at 5:30 last night, tried feeding at 10 pm, now tried again this afternoon) and nothing. He will sometimes show a little interest, but didn't go for any of the pieces.

Besides feeding, his overall behavior is fine- normal breathing, perches high seems alert (compared to past forums I've read where the fish would end up sitting on the substrate and acting unusually), always looking around, etc. My only even slight concern is he doesn't move around the tank much. He stays on one or two different spots and will sit there for 5 minutes or more on end before adjusting, moving a few inches, etc. I know this is pretty standard hawkfish behavior, but just trying to give the full context here.

Overall I'm hoping things will turn around. He's the first fish in there and might still be adjusting to his surroundings. I'm just concerned that because I haven't been able to seed my tank with pods yet (hopefully will be here Thursday / Friday from AlgaeBarn) that he has no microfauna to snack on if it's just a matter of not liking the food I have available at the moment. If anyone has any ideas, advice, or similar experiences, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

As a longtime lurker on this forum, this wasn't how I expected to finally make an account, but I'm hoping someone can help me.

I've just about finished cycling my tank as of yesterday (0 ppm ammonia, .1 ppm Nitrite, 25 ppm Nitrate, 1.026 sg) and went to an LFS to pick up a fish to keep the tank going. I specifically wanted to go this one as I learned they strictly QT all their livestock, something I had never seen when I was previously in the hobby as a kid, so I figured something from there would be particularly resilient.

I was hoping to snag a Bangaii Cardinal, Chromis, or something else that would be especially hardy, but they literally had either a $150 1" platinum clown or a long nose hawkfish. Since the latter has been on my stock list for some time now, I went with him. I know he has been through a 14 day medicated quarantine and had been for sale for at least a further week and a half (I saw him when I came to buy a replacement heater), so I was comfortable he would be a decent candidate given my options. I also made sure the person working there fed him, and he ate their blend of frozen food pretty voraciously.

Fastforward to now, and I've still not gotten him to eat much at all. I tried pellets with no luck, and also tried a good chunk of thawed RODI's. He ate one, after watching it a long time, but otherwise let the rest swirl around him. He seems to see it, and he'll sometimes swim out to have a closer look, but will turn right back around to perch on his rock or two that he's picked out as his territory. I tried again just now to feed him (bought him at 5:30 last night, tried feeding at 10 pm, now tried again this afternoon) and nothing. He will sometimes show a little interest, but didn't go for any of the pieces.

Besides feeding, his overall behavior is fine- normal breathing, perches high seems alert (compared to past forums I've read where the fish would end up sitting on the substrate and acting unusually), always looking around, etc. My only even slight concern is he doesn't move around the tank much. He stays on one or two different spots and will sit there for 5 minutes or more on end before adjusting, moving a few inches, etc. I know this is pretty standard hawkfish behavior, but just trying to give the full context here.

Overall I'm hoping things will turn around. He's the first fish in there and might still be adjusting to his surroundings. I'm just concerned that because I haven't been able to seed my tank with pods yet (hopefully will be here Thursday / Friday from AlgaeBarn) that he has no microfauna to snack on if it's just a matter of not liking the food I have available at the moment. If anyone has any ideas, advice, or similar experiences, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

One thing I see a lot of in new fish is "salinity stress". Home aquarists often keep their tanks at a specific gravity of 1.026 and a lot of dealers hold their fish at 1.020 or so. They do this to save on salt costs and as a "treatment" for fish disease (although it doesn't really help). So - the first thing we want to do is rule that out. Do you happen to know the specific gravity of the dealer's tanks?

The next thing to do is contact the dealer to find out what food they were feeding it and try that.

Jay

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the advice! I ended up finally getting ahold of the LFS, but the guy on the phone basically said it was my fault because the .1 ppm nitrite wasn't 0, so I was probably stressing it out. Admittedly it isn't 0, but from what I read before and now again after the fact, it seems like in the grand scheme of things that amount of nitrite is negligible and isn't likely to be the cause of something like this. Curious what thoughts would be on this.

As luck would have it, I got in contact with a local reefer who bought the same species from the same store. In his experience his hawkfish was also picky, but that plain mess finally coaxed him out. Sure enough, mine rejected the Rod's blend, but I bought mysis and he took to it instantly. Seems like the Rod's may have just been too unfamiliar. Hoping he's good to go from here on out!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the advice! I ended up finally getting ahold of the LFS, but the guy on the phone basically said it was my fault because the .1 ppm nitrite wasn't 0, so I was probably stressing it out. Admittedly it isn't 0, but from what I read before and now again after the fact, it seems like in the grand scheme of things that amount of nitrite is negligible and isn't likely to be the cause of something like this. Curious what thoughts would be on this.

As luck would have it, I got in contact with a local reefer who bought the same species from the same store. In his experience his hawkfish was also picky, but that plain mess finally coaxed him out. Sure enough, mine rejected the Rod's blend, but I bought mysis and he took to it instantly. Seems like the Rod's may have just been too unfamiliar. Hoping he's good to go from here on out!
Good deal!

You are right though. 0.1 nitrite is harmless to marine fish, although it would be harmful to freshwater fish.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. Mysis is a perfect food for hawkfish.

The 2 longnose hawks I've kept, neither would eat anything until they ate a single feeder guppy. Then they both ate frozen and flake. It's like they didn't know that they could eat inside a glass box.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FB3545D9-F15A-41D9-85DE-3FD255F52EB2.jpeg
Love my Long Nose. Have had him about six years or so. Great fish.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back