new Maroon Clownfish starving itself and spitting out all of its food for 8 or 9 days

OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that does look like a secondary infection or an abscess. The Thomas lab products are not in my typical arsenal of meds - the cyclines they sell are just for freshwater and many of the other ones are less known in aquarium use. I prefer to use Neoplex or Kanaplex.

In terms of the flake food, can you try7 live brine shrimp? Even frozen brine shrimp would be more enticing.

Thanks jay. dang i really wish i would have ordered kanaplex or neomycin when vette and you suggested i get it. im starting to think you were both right it being ich and bacterial. I didnt though and i live in canada so it would take a couple weeks to get here.. will it kill him if starvation doesnt first? i might just order it so i have it in the future.

Thats weird the cyclines dont work in saltwater is there a reason why, and does that include hypo saltwater? it doesnt say anything about it on the directions and has a picture of a saltwater fish. I took a picture of all the meds directions that mentioned broad spectrum, treating tail things and what they say they treat. Maybe you can give me your input if any of these might help when you have a minute since you definitely know more about it than me and it might be my only option unless something like h2o2 or non-conventional might help. Im leaning towards CEPHALEXIN (first one on picture 3) based on what it says treating a wide range of non specific bacterial infections. Theres a several others i have not pictured like erythromycin, cipro, metro too excetera.
20240322_073015.jpg
Screenshot_20240322-081907_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240322-081900_Gallery.jpg

For the feeding there is unfortunately no one in town that sells live foods i dont think, i called every pet store when the maroon was doing the same things. I do have a few frozen cubes of brine i can try a few shrimps. how long into hypo would it take to regain appetite, i wonder if the infection is keeping him from eatting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres better pictures of the goby too. just tried 3 brine and a flake right near his face and nothing. left it near his face for 5 minute with flow off. Seems furry dots arent gone, not sure if i didnt see them last night or what but he is upright alot more.
20240322_093151.jpg
20240322_093647.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks jay. dang i really wish i would have ordered kanaplex or neomycin when vette and you suggested i get it. im starting to think you were both right it being ich and bacterial. I didnt though and i live in canada so it would take a couple weeks to get here.. will it kill him if starvation doesnt first? i might just order it so i have it in the future.

Thats weird the cyclines dont work in saltwater is there a reason why, and does that include hypo saltwater? it doesnt say anything about it on the directions and has a picture of a saltwater fish. I took a picture of all the meds directions that mentioned broad spectrum, treating tail things and what they say they treat. Maybe you can give me your input if any of these might help when you have a minute since you definitely know more about it than me and it might be my only option unless something like h2o2 or non-conventional might help. Im leaning towards CEPHALEXIN (first one on picture 3) based on what it says treating a wide range of non specific bacterial infections. Theres a several others i have not pictured like erythromycin, cipro, metro too excetera.
20240322_073015.jpg
Screenshot_20240322-081907_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240322-081900_Gallery.jpg

For the feeding there is unfortunately no one in town that sells live foods i dont think, i called every pet store when the maroon was doing the same things. I do have a few frozen cubes of brine i can try a few shrimps. how long into hypo would it take to regain appetite, i wonder if the infection is keeping him from eatting.
All of the tetracyclines get neutralized by calcium in the water to different degrees. The general advice is to only use them orally, injectable or in soft water (freshwater).
I just think flakes are not as readily accepted by these gobies as live brine is.

OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the tetracyclines get neutralized by calcium in the water to different degrees. The general advice is to only use them orally, injectable or in soft water (freshwater).
I just think flakes are not as readily accepted by these gobies as live brine is.
thanks. What about the others? i think im going to try cephalexin since it says it works on multiple different ornamental fish infections unless its a bad idea. i added a drop or 2 of tea tree oil in the 5g so hope i didnt euthanize him by accident. 5 minutes later he spun like 3 or 4 times and was back laying down on his side. The goby destroyed both those flakes and brine shrimp as of a week ago so im not sure if live would even get him to bite. Cant believe no one sells it though. i shoot the frozen around a bit so its moving and looks live and nothing.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. What about the others? i think im going to try cephalexin since it says it works on multiple different ornamental fish infections unless its a bad idea. i added a drop or 2 of tea tree oil in the 5g so hope i didnt euthanize him by accident. 5 minutes later he spun like 3 or 4 times and was back laying down on his side. The goby destroyed both those flakes and brine shrimp as of a week ago so im not sure if live would even get him to bite. Cant believe no one sells it though. i shoot the frozen around a bit so its moving and looks live and nothing.
Tea tree oil is not an antibiotic, just a mild antiseptic. Aquarium medications are completely unregulated and anything can be sold to treat fish diseases without any evidence that they work and this is one example.
As I said, those other drugs are not in my formulary, so I can’t give advice on them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back