new Maroon Clownfish starving itself and spitting out all of its food for 8 or 9 days

OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks brightly colored. Would not be too worried. Turn off the lights to lower the stress level. Add an air stone and feed flake not frozen. if it's breathing heavily then might be a little worried.
Thanks baby damsel. I removed the light, havent added an airstone yet because there is currently a million microbubbles from the waterfall going on right now but i will when it gets closer to water level and the bubbles arent being produced by it unless i still should now? Problem is the clown goby was spitting out the food the last 2-3 days before this including flake food which is why im trying hypo for ich. Now his mouth is stuck open also.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i was waiting for the ph meter i thought i needed it during the whole treatment. I have a refractomer and calibration solution now. i am trying now, unfortunately the worst case scenario happened and when i was trying to lift the rockwork out so i could catch him it broke and part of it may have fell on the goby now aswell. He is still alive and still put up a bit of a chase afterwords to catch him and is now in the 5g that im slowly filling up with normal saltwater after using mostly 3g display water and will soon add fresh water in increments if he is still alive but his mouth is also stuck open now after the possible physical trauma aswell as fins looking torn up so idk if i will be able to get him to eat and if it will heal or not. he is still sitting upright at the bottom and moving around a small amount doesnt appear to be breathing fast right now (about 2 hours after this all took place) any suggestions at this point? Not holding much faith in him surviving at this point but im still trying.
20240319_152035.jpg
20240319_151030.jpg
20240319_152657.jpg
20240319_152702.jpg
I’m never done hypo salinity by adding water to a partially full tank like that. I always start with a fully operating tank, and then gradually remove water and replace it with freshwater. Did I copy this link for you?

OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m never done hypo salinity by adding water to a partially full tank like that. I always start with a fully operating tank, and then gradually remove water and replace it with freshwater. Did I copy this link for you?
yes you did and i did read it all, but i dont have that much room temp water made up to fully fill the tank and then remove and top off with freshwater since i wasnt sure i was doing hypo today until this morning, but i could do that all if it is absolutely critical.

My plan was to fill the tank slowly with regular 1.025 room temp water until the tank is 50% of regular strength sea water and then slowly add like a half of a water bottle 250ml since i am not 100% sure the exact volume of water in the tank and wasnt to sure about the equations you had mentioned to be honest lol, every several hours checking the salinity each time until i reached the propper hypo 1.009 since it said there was no hard rules about lowering salinity.. If this is a bad idea though because of ph or whatever then please let me know and why and i will just do it the other way as it suggests. I also thought this would allow me to get to hypo faster without having to wait for a bunch more water to be made. My tap water is too high to use i think at like 400-500ppm and i dont have dechlorinator or prime or anything. Thanks.

OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes you did and i did read it all, but i dont have that much room temp water made up to fully fill the tank and then remove and top off with freshwater since i wasnt sure i was doing hypo today until this morning, but i could do that all if it is absolutely critical.

My plan was to fill the tank slowly with regular 1.025 room temp water until the tank is 50% of regular strength sea water and then slowly add like a half of a water bottle 250ml since i am not 100% sure the exact volume of water in the tank and wasnt to sure about the equations you had mentioned to be honest lol, every several hours checking the salinity each time until i reached the propper hypo 1.009 since it said there was no hard rules about lowering salinity.. If this is a bad idea though because of ph or whatever then please let me know and why and i will just do it the other way as it suggests. I also thought this would allow me to get to hypo faster without having to wait for a bunch more water to be made. My tap water is too high to use i think at like 400-500ppm and i dont have dechlorinator or prime or anything. Thanks.
ok so i just left the tank 50% full of regular 1.025 water for now. Will either start slowly adding fresh water today at some point or just fill it up full of 1.025 and replace with fresh then as you mentioned if you really do think that it is important to do it that way depending on what you say. Also only tried to feed him once today since there is not a ton of bacteria and he was very stressed but he had no interest at all. its now been 3 or 4 days he hasnt eatten. He is moving around better now, mouth still stuck open though.

OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i just left the tank 50% full of regular 1.025 water for now. Will either start slowly adding fresh water today at some point or just fill it up full of 1.025 and replace with fresh then as you mentioned if you really do think that it is important to do it that way depending on what you say. Also only tried to feed him once today since there is not a ton of bacteria and he was very stressed but he had no interest at all. its now been 3 or 4 days he hasnt eatten. He is moving around better now, mouth still stuck open though.
*edit* i did start adding some fresh water half a water bottle 250ml at a time from the halfway filled point of the tank every few hours since i didnt want to waste the whole day without lowering it at all as he is not eating. It seems each 250ml is dropping it just under .001 sg at a time. i will keep doing this until i get to 1.020-1.022 and then either continue or fill up with saltwater at the new sg and do it the way you suggested if it is important that i do.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*edit* i did start adding some fresh water half a water bottle 250ml at a time from the halfway filled point of the tank every few hours since i didnt want to waste the whole day without lowering it at all as he is not eating. It seems each 250ml is dropping it just under .001 sg at a time. i will keep doing this until i get to 1.020-1.022 and then either continue or fill up with saltwater at the new sg and do it the way you suggested if it is important that i do.
A couple of observations: hypo only works once you reach the final level. If you take too long getting there, the disease can kill the fish during the process.
If you have city tap water, it will be fine for this use, just buy some dechlor. You can mix the hot and cold tap to get the proper water temperature for immediate use.
I generally take 48 hours in stages to get to full hypo for active infections and 72 hours if I’m running it as a preventative treatment.

OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of observations: hypo only works once you reach the final level. If you take too long getting there, the disease can kill the fish during the process.
If you have city tap water, it will be fine for this use, just buy some dechlor. You can mix the hot and cold tap to get the proper water temperature for immediate use.
I generally take 48 hours in stages to get to full hypo for active infections and 72 hours if I’m running it as a preventative treatment.
ok thanks, i added half a water bottle so far which brought it down to 1.024 then 2 hours later dropped it down to 1.023 with the other half bottle of freshwater, this from half a tank full 1.025. It has been just over an hour since i lowered it to 1.023. i also added an airstone. I see the goby is laying on his side now though and is breathing kinda fast so im not sure if he is going to make it. Should i continue to keep lowering it at this pace, speed up or slow down? i will continue lowering at the rate of .001 every 3 hours until i hear back since that would be 48 hours to get to 1.009. Also once again this is from half a tank just adding freshwater, not full and then replacing with fresh. let me know if it is essential its done by filling it full and replacing saltwater with fresh like you said instead of this way. Hope i dont kill him by doing it this way but worst case scenario its only a $15 or $20 fish and im learning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 other thing too i should i keep trying to feed while dropping salinity even though hes not eatting correct?

Baby Damsel 219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks baby damsel. I removed the light, havent added an airstone yet because there is currently a million microbubbles from the waterfall going on right now but i will when it gets closer to water level and the bubbles arent being produced by it unless i still should now? Problem is the clown goby was spitting out the food the last 2-3 days before this including flake food which is why im trying hypo for ich. Now his mouth is stuck open also.
Keep feeding foods high in protein. This happened to me as well. It had a white furry texture. Feed omega one flakes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 other thing too i should i keep trying to feed while dropping salinity even though hes not eatting correct?

If the fish isn't eating, you can still try some food, with the idea being, if it starts eating again, it will help. However, if it isn't eating, then you need to remove any uneaten food so that it doesn't foul the water.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks, i added half a water bottle so far which brought it down to 1.024 then 2 hours later dropped it down to 1.023 with the other half bottle of freshwater, this from half a tank full 1.025. It has been just over an hour since i lowered it to 1.023. i also added an airstone. I see the goby is laying on his side now though and is breathing kinda fast so im not sure if he is going to make it. Should i continue to keep lowering it at this pace, speed up or slow down? i will continue lowering at the rate of .001 every 3 hours until i hear back since that would be 48 hours to get to 1.009. Also once again this is from half a tank just adding freshwater, not full and then replacing with fresh. let me know if it is essential its done by filling it full and replacing saltwater with fresh like you said instead of this way. Hope i dont kill him by doing it this way but worst case scenario its only a $15 or $20 fish and im learning.

I think you need to speed up the process quite a bit - every hour spent above the proper level will just allow the disease to gain a stronger foothold. It's complicated - you can make the original drops very quickly. I've lowered the salinity of a tank by 35% the first time, then 20% the next time, then 10%, then 5% as I edge up the the target salinity.

OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep feeding foods high in protein. This happened to me as well. It had a white furry texture. Feed omega one flakes.
If the fish isn't eating, you can still try some food, with the idea being, if it starts eating again, it will help. However, if it isn't eating, then you need to remove any uneaten food so that it doesn't foul the water.
Thanks. He definitely does look like he has a furry texture to him. He is definitely breathing fast now and kinda just moving around small turns in the same general spot. i have tried the tetra flake food shooting flakes by his face about 15 minutes ago which he use to destroy and now he doesnt even try to eat it and i just syphon it back out like 30 seconds later. His mouth is also still open. I dont have any omega one flakes currently but if you really think theres a legit chance he actually goes for them i will go buy a container? i also have nls flakes enhanced with garlic aswell but he has never eatten them.

OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to speed up the process quite a bit - every hour spent above the proper level will just allow the disease to gain a stronger foothold. It's complicated - you can make the original drops very quickly. I've lowered the salinity of a tank by 35% the first time, then 20% the next time, then 10%, then 5% as I edge up the the target salinity.
ok i will speed up then was just quite worried since he wasnt really breathing fast before i started to lower the sg and now he is. also since i havent been removing the saltwater and just been adding fresh to lower it.
I started lowering it about approx 15 hours ago from right now and am currently at around 1.020-1.021. I will start adding either 500ml or 750ml at a time instead of the 250ml until i am at 1.015 or lower then back off to the 500ml and then 250ml again for the last bit if he is still alive at that point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have discovered another big issue. Decided to check my refractometer to make sure it was calibrated since i had only used the 0% salinity to calibrate it the first time and that is what i was basically using before when i was ro calibrating, but when i put the 35% solution on the slide now it said like 39% or 40%, way too high. When i adjust it back down to 35% and then check the 0% again it says it is like 4% below the zero line.. which one do i trust? The calibration solutions are both new tropic eden brand that were just opened and the refractomer is only a few months old. i also tried to check with my glass float hydrometer but after 7 years of course now i break it before i can get an accurate reading. of course. I can go purchase a swing arm tomorrow if i have to or something i just didnt think that brand new calibration solution that is in dropper bottles and sealed would be off. Unless the refractomer doesnt work right.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have discovered another big issue. Decided to check my refractometer to make sure it was calibrated since i had only used the 0% salinity to calibrate it the first time and that is what i was basically using before when i was ro calibrating, but when i put the 35% solution on the slide now it said like 39% or 40%, way too high. When i adjust it back down to 35% and then check the 0% again it says it is like 4% below the zero line.. which one do i trust? The calibration solutions are both new tropic eden brand that were just opened and the refractomer is only a few months old. i also tried to check with my glass float hydrometer but after 7 years of course now i break it before i can get an accurate reading. of course. I can go purchase a swing arm tomorrow if i have to or something i just didnt think that brand new calibration solution that is in dropper bottles and sealed would be off. Unless the refractomer doesnt work right.
I’ve had many problems using refractometer, that’s why I use a good laboratory floating hydrometer for this, but a good swing arm hydrometer also works well.

OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had many problems using refractometer, that’s why I use a good laboratory floating hydrometer for this, but a good swing arm hydrometer also works well.
i broke my glass float hydrometer cleaning it earlier before i was going to use it to check.

I just calibrated the refractometer over and over with both and it seems to be closer now only reading like 3% off for the 0 and 35 solutions.after calibrating with both and checking the tank after each one right now when i check they are reading the tank pretty close between 1.012 when calibrated with 35 and 1.013 calibrated with 0. I am going to back off of adding like 1.5l at a time now and start removing 1 bottle and replacing since the tank is now full (50% 1.025 50% fresh added approx). The only swing arm around i can get is an instant ocean one for $20, is it worth it with how close the range seems to be on the tank water now?

The goby also may be doing worse now too though, he is continually on his side 24/7 and barely moving around much not eatting still but still breathing, sometimes fast sometimes a bit slower.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally got to full hypo as best i could with my refractometer after about 33-34 hours. It says 1.008-1.009 calibrated with the 35 and like 1.010 calibrated with 0.

OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like i said i can get the instant ocean hydrometer too if it would be better just dont know if it is accurate enough when it says it is accurate up to .001 +/- and it seems like that is close to how much i could be off.

OP
OP
B

blazin'reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update and 2 questions if/when you have time. again sorry for asking for so much help this is my first hypo attempt and its nerve wracking.

Its been like 15 hours since i started hypo and i dont want to get my hopes up but the fish appears to be moving around a bit better and isnt covered in the furry dots anymore and is keeping himself more upright now. But it may have a secondary infection maybe.
QUESTION 1- is a huge white dot/lump on the back tail a secondary infection, and if it is which antibiotic would i use? i have the thomas labs fish antibiotics as a reminder. Here is the best pictures i could get right now.
20240322_005658.jpg

20240322_005654.jpg

QUESTION 2- it still hasnt eatten anything in atleast 6 days now. I have only been shooting one flake around him for a minute 2 times/day and then removing when theres no response. Is this enough or should i try 3/day or different food, can i leave like 1 small flake in the corner of tank incase he eats it and then remove it the next time i try if its still there?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update and 2 questions if/when you have time. again sorry for asking for so much help this is my first hypo attempt and its nerve wracking.

Its been like 15 hours since i started hypo and i dont want to get my hopes up but the fish appears to be moving around a bit better and isnt covered in the furry dots anymore and is keeping himself more upright now. But it may have a secondary infection maybe.
QUESTION 1- is a huge white dot/lump on the back tail a secondary infection, and if it is which antibiotic would i use? i have the thomas labs fish antibiotics as a reminder. Here is the best pictures i could get right now.
20240322_005658.jpg

20240322_005654.jpg

QUESTION 2- it still hasnt eatten anything in atleast 6 days now. I have only been shooting one flake around him for a minute 2 times/day and then removing when theres no response. Is this enough or should i try 3/day or different food, can i leave like 1 small flake in the corner of tank incase he eats it and then remove it the next time i try if its still there?

Yes - that does look like a secondary infection or an abscess. The Thomas lab products are not in my typical arsenal of meds - the cyclines they sell are just for freshwater and many of the other ones are less known in aquarium use. I prefer to use Neoplex or Kanaplex.

In terms of the flake food, can you try7 live brine shrimp? Even frozen brine shrimp would be more enticing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%

Back