New maxima acting weird.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new gold maxima in yesterday. It's about 2.5 inches.

After I drip acclimated I placed it on the sand bed to start acclimating him. Right away it opened up and was responsive to stimuli and appeared to be doing well. After lights out I noticed it was still open and even with a nudge didn't seem to respond and close up. I figured I'd wake up to a dead clam, but this morning it looks fine again. Any suggestions on things to watch out for? My parameters are all in line and I acclimated correctly, it just seems bizarre to go from dead seeming to fine again.

This is the pic I took last night expecting the need to file a claim with liveaquaria. I don't have a lot of clam experience but it sure seemed like gaping to me.

20180508_215039.jpg

Joel B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell much from the picture, but I can tell you that my clams don't close 100% of the way at night, they're usually some degree of open. If during lights-on it's fully extended it should be fine.

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell much from the picture, but I can tell you that my clams don't close 100% of the way at night, they're usually some degree of open. If during lights-on it's fully extended it should be fine.
Yeah, it's a crap picture. I just took a quick one while headed to bed. I was less surprised by it being open than by it not responding to closing if touched. I'll see what it does tonight and check back in, thanks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back