New Melanurus Wrasse Male

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added one of these Wrasse's (also called Hoeven Wrasse) to my tank yesterday and haven't seen it since. Does it normally hide when you first add it? How long until it comes out again?

Also, I plan on feeding it normal pellet food with twice a week frozen food. Does that sound right?

Thanks!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres genus wrasse tend to hide for several days upon addition. I had one hide for more than a month I thought was long gone. Most though are 1-5 days. Completely normal behavior.

Do you have a tight fitting lid? They're jumpers so that's another thing to worry about ;)

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days to even a week sounds about right. Very hardy specimen once established. Will eat just about anything..... including your hermits and smaller snails.

OP
OP
ItsAName

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better make a lid then before it shows itself! Are my snails and hermits in trouble if i feed regularly?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfectly normal. They'll sometimes disappear a week

A few days to even a week sounds about right. Very hardy specimen once established. Will eat just about anything..... including your hermits and smaller snails.

This is truth. I had a trio of these and I only had big turbos and astreas left. They'll pick things up and smash them on rocks to get at them. Shrimp, hermits, and small snails were all fair game to them. Awesome fish, though

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better make a lid then before it shows itself! Are my snails and hermits in trouble if i feed regularly?
Potentially, I've always thought wrasse to be worth the cost of replacing my CUC annually :)

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine hid for 3 days when I first put him in and I've never seen him bury again during the day. I've had him a little over a year. He is tough as nails, surviving two 30 day rounds of cupramine in QT while my DT went fallow for a bad velvet outbreak. (The first 30 day treatment didn't cure the velvet) He was one of the few survivors. I've learned the hard way to QT everything. He is one of my favorites and has a great personality. He is an assassin and a thief. He is constantly in hunting mode and takes pleasure stealing food from the other fishes mouths at feeding times.

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful not to siphon the sand bed until he comes out so you don't accidentally shoot him up the tube! Melanurus wrasse are awesome and I am sure he will eat the pellets/frozen food like a pig.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure he is well fed. I feed my tank frozen & dry food every day and am fairly sure I haven't lost a crab or snail to him. They grow fast and do get quite big.

OP
OP
ItsAName

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wife saw him swimming around yesterday morning for about an hour, but I still haven't seen him. Hoping he comes out soon! Thank you everyone for the advice and experience, I wouldn't have known to build a lid and about them going after the CUC.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did, I think the day after I wrote that. Now he's best friends with my rabbitfish and they think they rule the world. I named him "Trouble". Thank you for asking :)

5dnvAnY.jpg
[/IMG]
5dnvAnY.jpg
[/IMG]

20170816_191625.jpg

20170816_191639.jpg

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine, loves to lounge on the rock with GSP and Pulsing Xenia, sorry for the lousy picture but the lights were ramping down and just about to shut off, when I tried to take the picture with more light he doesn't stay put. They are pigs and will eat just about anything. Hasn't touched any of my shrimp or snails, although he did eat some Peppermint that I got for Aptasia but they were on the small side so I chalk that up to size. I feed my fish mostly Black worms, Mysis, BS, and LRS. A secure lid is a must. I've seen him dart around like a rocket when startled and lost a Pink Margin Wrasse to jumping.
QQOUDlxl.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back