New Member From NYC, NY

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening my fellow reef heads! I am back in the game again and wanted to say hello to everyone! I will give you a little background info first than tell you my plans for my future tank. I first got into reefing back in 2011 for about a year before I served my country in the Armed Forces. I am recently separating and looking into starting my second tank, which will be a 150 gallon (previous tank was 75).

I am absolutely blown away at what this hobby now offers and the technology that has exploded in this industry (tank controllers, LED lights, etc). It's almost overwhelming the amount of research I have been doing, just to get reacquainted. I can go on and on, but I will jump right into what I am looking to set up as far as fish and corals.

This is just my first idea, I am open to suggestions/comments!

Fish: Would love an assortment of Tangs and other fish, but as of right now I know I definitely want these Tangs; 2 lipstick, 2 powder blue, 2 achilles, and 2 purple (will all be introduced at the same time to limit aggression).

Corals: I have an obsession right now for anomones. I would love to have 1 giant rainbow carpet anemone right in the center of my tank. I would also like to have a flower anemone garden on one side of the tank as well as a purple long tentacle anemone. I would add the carpet anemone first and after a few months I would add the purple tentacle (hopefully the carpet doesn't move lol).
I would love to have a dragon soul torch, an elegant coral (from indo due to the amazing coloration), scolymia's, SPS, and other LPS as well, but have not decided which I want.

Anyway I don't want you guys to read too much. This tank is about 2 years down the road from now, but the one thing I have learned in this hobby is to be thorough in planning. I am leaving no areas overlooked! Thanks everyone!!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, Picassoclown - and my thanks for your service!

You're looking at a big, beautiful tank, aren't you?! It sounds magnificent - and after two years here, you'll be good & ready. Good planning. Do keep in mind that carpet anemones have a reputation for snacking on fish - including tangs... You like a lot of the same tangs I do ... coincidentally, some of the ones with the worst reputations for ich, velvet and aggression. Quarantine _everything_!

Are you going to Reef-A-Palooza at the Meadowlands Convention Center the end of the month? Talk about an eye-opener!

~Bruce

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, Picassoclown - and my thanks for your service!

You're looking at a big, beautiful tank, aren't you?! It sounds magnificent - and after two years here, you'll be good & ready. Good planning. Do keep in mind that carpet anemones have a reputation for snacking on fish - including tangs... You like a lot of the same tangs I do ... coincidentally, some of the ones with the worst reputations for ich, velvet and aggression. Quarantine _everything_!

Are you going to Reef-A-Palooza at the Meadowlands Convention Center the end of the month? Talk about an eye-opener!

~Bruce
Thank you for the recognition maritimer and kschweer :D. It's appreciated. Unfortunately I will not be able to make it to the reef show this year, but I definitely want to join a local club in Manhattan somewhere. It seems we do like the same things! What I was planning to do was to have the tank cycled and up and running for at least 3 months stocked with some clowns, probably picassos or frostbite/flurries/ice etc, then the first additions will be the anemones. I would get the anemone a small as possible (hopefully the reef show by that time would have the size I am looking for, or I can find it here! :D) and then add in the tangs a few months after that, also at a small age. Hopefully the tangs are smart enough to stay away and that the small size of the anemone would poze too much of a risk.

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! would not poze*. Trying to type this on a phone haha.

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow I will post my ideas on my rockscape plans. I look forward to suggestions/comments!

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! How big of a tank are you thinking about?

I would like to do a 150 gallon (if my apartment can handle the weight. I will need to have a structural engineer come out and take a look).

*Design/Rockscape*
So I want to design something that would have a centerpiece as well as rock work that would be very catching to the eye, but also force someone to look at the entirety of the tank by creating depth. Working from left to right I would like 3 rock structures, 2 of which will be connected.

*Left & Middle*
On the left side of the tank I am going to build a structure that extends to the back of the tank while making a 45 degree curve and building upwards. At the pinnacle of this structure I would like to build a nice sweeping arch to the middle of the tank, where I will have a structure that would be hollowed out in the bottom to house a giant crab or some other creature, and making a nice twist upwards to meet the end of the arch. In the middle of these two structures I will leave a nice wide open area to hopefully house a beautiful carpet anemone, along with a flower anemone garden and clam garden.

*Right Side*
On the right side of the tank I wanted to add depth as I want to do with the 45 degree curvature to the left hand side structure. Here I will buy 3 tonga shelf dry rocks with bases so I can glue and stack them on top of each other to house some beautiful plate coral or other SPS, polyps, etc. In addition, I will also leave a nice open area between the middle and the right side to maybe have a scolymia garden, tube worm garden, etc.

What do you guys think?!

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef @Picassoclown !* Thank you for your service.You have some really elaborate ideas.It will definitely take some serious planning to pull it all off.It is really good that you found this forum as your springboard.Best of luck with all your endeavours.

1475471003572.jpg

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! Much appreciated. I have been looking into DIY LED's. I priced out 3 geismann fixtures for $2300 and compared to the DIY cost of $800...looks like I will be doing it myself hahaha. That extra $1500 I save can be used on a nice refugium and nice fish/corals!

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Im from NY aswell so if you need anything you can hit me up! Ill be glad to help out!

OP
OP
Picassoclown

Picassoclown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Branespikin Thanks man I appreciate it. I will definitely do that. I return home in September. I haven't been home in many years. I am looking forward to seeing many fish stores! Where in Queens are you from? I am from Astoria.

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Branespikin Thanks man I appreciate it. I will definitely do that. I return home in September. I haven't been home in many years. I am looking forward to seeing many fish stores! Where in Queens are you from? I am from Astoria.
No problem! Ill show you all the places get you hooked up!! Im an Astoria boy too!! Moved to College Point few years ago but work in Astoria and am there all the time. My office is by ST Mikes cemetery Astoria Blvd to get on GCP

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back