New Member/My Story and FLOW

NewCaliCaptives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I Just joined R2R for the missing macna sale! This is a great forum and has been very helpful to me over the past couple of years so I am excited to finally become an active member! I breed Ball Pythons and Crested Geckos, among owning MANY other reptiles. Loving animals is in my DNA and I have always been MOST fascinated with the marine side of things. Ive been pushing the old lady to let me get a tank forever and we finally got one! We picked up a Waterbox Cube 10 from the LFS.

A couple of years ago I had a 40 breeder for about a year, I loved it so much BUT I ended up getting some type of parasite or disease in my tank. I dont remember exactly what it was but I was told that it was pretty much incurable, and after running it fallow for 3 months without results I assumed It was as well.

ANYWAY...

Ive been bit by the bug again ! And my experience now with keeping the reptiles has led me to another possible conclusion as to why my last tank didn't work out so well. CHLORAMINES! :mad: Here in Wichita we use HIGH levels of chloramine in our water. Ive always used an RO system for tank/animal water but it was always something small like the Aquatic buddy, single stage carbon, no DI. So here I am now with a BRS 6 Stage double carbon and double DI detecting 0 ammonia in my filtered water, as it should be! I now feel much better about my chances of success this time around.

Current setup:

- Waterbox Cube 10
- AI Prime 16HD
- 12lbs cured LR from LFS
- 10lbs Fiji Pink

It was completely cycled in less than a week, and I added a Ricordea the end of the second week. Yellow watchman and his pistol shrimp pal, 5 blue leg hermits and a turbo snail followed 2 weeks later.

Question: All my flow comes from the return pump, which I don't think is nearly enough. In the market for a powerhead! I have strongly been considering the MP10. For 2 reasons. First because in such a tiny tank, I don't want a powerhead sticking out! I love the low profile on the westside combined with no chords in tank. Second the ability to customize flow with the app. I know id be running it at super low setting and probably never even pass 40%, but the changing/randomized flow has really sold me on getting a DC powerhead. Is the MP10 too much? Any other suggestions? I have a couple zoa frags coming in next week and would love to be able to get a Monti or birds nest.

Even though I had a tank for a short spurt of time a little bit ago, I am still new to this and could be wrong about a lot of this! Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to being on R2R!!!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I Just joined R2R for the missing macna sale! This is a great forum and has been very helpful to me over the past couple of years so I am excited to finally become an active member! I breed Ball Pythons and Crested Geckos, among owning MANY other reptiles. Loving animals is in my DNA and I have always been MOST fascinated with the marine side of things. Ive been pushing the old lady to let me get a tank forever and we finally got one! We picked up a Waterbox Cube 10 from the LFS.

A couple of years ago I had a 40 breeder for about a year, I loved it so much BUT I ended up getting some type of parasite or disease in my tank. I dont remember exactly what it was but I was told that it was pretty much incurable, and after running it fallow for 3 months without results I assumed It was as well.

ANYWAY...

Ive been bit by the bug again ! And my experience now with keeping the reptiles has led me to another possible conclusion as to why my last tank didn't work out so well. CHLORAMINES! :mad: Here in Wichita we use HIGH levels of chloramine in our water. Ive always used an RO system for tank/animal water but it was always something small like the Aquatic buddy, single stage carbon, no DI. So here I am now with a BRS 6 Stage double carbon and double DI detecting 0 ammonia in my filtered water, as it should be! I now feel much better about my chances of success this time around.

Current setup:

- Waterbox Cube 10
- AI Prime 16HD
- 12lbs cured LR from LFS
- 10lbs Fiji Pink

It was completely cycled in less than a week, and I added a Ricordea the end of the second week. Yellow watchman and his pistol shrimp pal, 5 blue leg hermits and a turbo snail followed 2 weeks later.

Question: All my flow comes from the return pump, which I don't think is nearly enough. In the market for a powerhead! I have strongly been considering the MP10. For 2 reasons. First because in such a tiny tank, I don't want a powerhead sticking out! I love the low profile on the westside combined with no chords in tank. Second the ability to customize flow with the app. I know id be running it at super low setting and probably never even pass 40%, but the changing/randomized flow has really sold me on getting a DC powerhead. Is the MP10 too much? Any other suggestions? I have a couple zoa frags coming in next week and would love to be able to get a Monti or birds nest.

Even though I had a tank for a short spurt of time a little bit ago, I am still new to this and could be wrong about a lot of this! Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to being on R2R!!!
Welcome to REEF2REEF! Do you have a TDS meter as well? A TDS meter will let you know if there’s anything else nasty in your water after the DI stage. It won’t test for chloramines however but they shouldn’t be present after the last stage anyway.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. I have 2 maxspect 330 in my Waterbox 130.4. They work great to add movement. One would do the job in your tank. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
NewCaliCaptives

NewCaliCaptives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! Do you have a TDS meter as well? A TDS meter will let you know if there’s anything else nasty in your water after the DI stage. It won’t test for chloramines however but they shouldn’t be present after the last stage anyway.
yes I do have a TDS meter and it comes out at 0

OP
OP
NewCaliCaptives

NewCaliCaptives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. I have 2 maxspect 330 in my Waterbox 130.4. They work great to add movement. One would do the job in your tank. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
I would love a gyre! you dont think that would be too much in a 10 gallon cube though?

OP
OP
NewCaliCaptives

NewCaliCaptives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
according to the Vortech calculator, the mp10 is too much for my tank, but they're rated for as small as 2.5 gal. so I'm pretty confused by this. I would hate to drop that money on something that won't work for me!
Also pretty random I know but I want to rearrange my aquascape to make more usable space for corals, could moving the rocks damage or kill my goby and shrimp that live under there??

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back