New Member/New Tank!

morgank689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Y'all!

New to the hobby and loving it so far! Added fish to my first saltwater tank May 2 and it's been anxiety inducing ever since! Lol. Just kidding it's been great! So lets begin with some info about my tank!

I got intrigued by that amazing sale Petco runs and was like "lets start a reef tank"...so here I am. Picked up a 40 gallon breeder in the beginning of April and started getting my supplies. I got dry sand and rock so I could make sure it was only populated with the bacteria I wanted it to be for the beginning. Invested in an RO/DI system already as an avid plant mom so didn't need that! Started off the tank with IO Reef Crystals mixed with RO/DI by a couple of powerheads to 77 degrees Fahrenheit in a Brute trash can. I set two wave makers on either side in the front part of the tank about 1/3 of the way back pointed directly at each other for the flow to hit and create some nice variance. I also have two heaters in the tank. One to heat and one just in case set a degree behind the main heater. Started the nitrogen cycle (05/02) with two clowns and a bottle of Fritz bacteria. Feeding LRS Reef Frenzy Nano frozen food. I also have a Trigger 25 Sapphire sump with a refugium set up in it. The refugium has a bunch of bio cubes and a bottle of Fritz turbo start was also used to start its cycle. A week later I added a thing of clean chaeto and 5280 pods from algae barn and I try and remember every night to feed them with the ocean magik phytoplankton. I have a Innovative Marine Chaetomax light on the refugium to keep the chaeto from dying. I also have two AI prime 16 HD Reef lights attached to the tank already, however I have never turned them on (per Ryans instruction from BRStv's 5 minute guide). I've seen ALOT of hours of BRStv! Just had my first change in ammonia this past week (05/18). Ammonia spiked (using the API test kit, I know, don't drag me) but has gone back down to normal levels. Nitrite levels are still up (it's a nice royal shade of purple) and the nitrate levels are nice and low. I keep a log but honestly its just a guess as to where i'm at because the color water mine turns out to be is NEVER a color on the color chart, go figure. Will be investing in Hanna meters asap. I think that's all of the info I have atm. Please any advice welcome! All the best! ~Kayla
05-23.jpg
05-23,2.jpg
05-23,3.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, sounds like you put a lot of research in. Very good start. Tank looks great.

The cheato may have some die off. It need nutrients along with the light, but we will see. We usually use it for nutrient export, which you are now just building. It makes a great place for pod population to grow so good call.

keep us updated.

1590285576782.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Great size tank and beautiful fish!

Clownfish.gif

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back