New - Need Help!

nb6782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a 120 gallon saltwater tank and all my fish are now breathing very, very fast.

Every level is perfect and the salinity is perfect.

A Flagfin Angelfish has died. the Puffer is laying on the sand, as is are my blue tangs.

I have no idea what the problem could be!!!

tempImagehTDuwu.png

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a 120 gallon saltwater tank and all my fish are now breathing very, very fast.

A Flagfin Angelfish has died. the Puffer is laying on the sand, as is are my blue tangs.

tempImagehTDuwu.png

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Point your power heads to ensure you have water agitation at surface to get more oxygen down to your fish.

What are your water parameters and what changed? When did you first notice heavy breathing? Tank looks VERY clean - when did you finish cycle (ammonia> nitrite> nitrates)? Do you use RODI water to mix your salt? When was last water change (fishing for what changed :))

This is a good reference book type article on setting up tank, cycling, but without more info from you on age of tank, my first guess is you've got an ammonia problem:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads pointed to surface, add an air stone if you have it. Turn skimmer back on if off.

List full parameters when you can. Everything is not perfect so there must be something going on.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

tempImagehTDuwu.png
Welcome to Reef2Reef, sorry it couldn't have been under better circumstances!

You will need to move REALLY quickly here, in order to try to avoid additional fish loss.
The first quick assessment that can be done - does the tank have invertebrates and corals in it? Are they doing well? If so, then that would point you more to a fish disease, and less to a water quality problem.

Here is a link to the background information that we need to have before really being able to try and help:

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
N

nb6782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined.

Point your power heads to ensure you have water agitation at surface to get more oxygen down to your fish.

What are your water parameters and what changed? When did you first notice heavy breathing? Tank looks VERY clean - when did you finish cycle (ammonia> nitrite> nitrates)? Do you use RODI water to mix your salt? When was last water change (fishing for what changed :))

This is a good reference book type article on setting up tank, cycling, but without more info from you on age of tank, my first guess is you've got an ammonia problem:
Heavy breathing started last night, no changes.

RO water mixed by Tideline here in town.

Water change was about 7 days ago, 20%

All are 0 on Ammonia, Nitrites.

OP
OP
N

nb6782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef, sorry it couldn't have been under better circumstances!

You will need to move REALLY quickly here, in order to try to avoid additional fish loss.
The first quick assessment that can be done - does the tank have invertebrates and corals in it? Are they doing well? If so, then that would point you more to a fish disease, and less to a water quality problem.

Here is a link to the background information that we need to have before really being able to try and help:

Jay Hemdal
Hi Jay,

Fish only, live rock. No corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sadly to say- You are using API kit which is notorious for false readings and your levels are higher than shown and may be part of problem. Water change and addition of air stone would be first recourse

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard and God luck.
I have to second your test kit choice may not be the best.

Plenty of solid advice above.
Good luck with your tank!!!

Salifert test kits are solid.

HANNA for Phosphates and Alkalinity are solid state of the art testers

ZomboMeme 11102020203151.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 66 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back