New Nitrifying Bacteria Experiment.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excellent summary, fair on all parts and respective of the data vs stance on rip cleaning. very well done, very well done. findings do not conflict one iota with rip cleaning threads totaling about 200 pages worth of jobs on full tank setups, 99.9% never using tap water on rocks but 100% always using tap water on sand until its completely clean.

you did a fair, balanced, thorough study I've enjoyed following. your natural lab skills contributed tremendously

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
excellent summary, fair on all parts and respective of the data vs stance on rip cleaning. very well done, very well done. findings do not conflict one iota with rip cleaning threads totaling about 200 pages worth of jobs on full tank setups, 99.9% never using tap water on rocks but 100% always using tap water on sand until its completely clean.

you did a fair, balanced, thorough study I've enjoyed following. your natural lab skills contributed tremendously
Thanks Brandon

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A specific takeaway here from your study was the rebound rates on tap rinsed rocks. Prior to this charting all guesses were in place ranging from not any harm, I would have voted for almost no harm measurable at all (out of habit for always taking the side for bacterial strength in a hobby that always seems to doubt) and then some votes were for total kill/ sterility of the rinsed surfaces like sending it back to being uncycled dry rock. Your study shows a neat midline and you tested it enough times to establish a convincing pattern.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally - the tanks are still set up - and I would open any new experiment suggestions
Nice! Enjoyed following!

Something I’ve been curious about. What’s the maximum a rock process?
You are at 2ppm in 24 hrs. Could you bump up the dose, daily, until the rock can no longer process ammonia?

Why? Imagine a nano with a turbo snail the size of a half dollar. It dies while away on vacation. That’s a lot of meat that’s going to decompose!!

I have a turbo that’s at least 2.5” I look for him every day to make sure that he’s still alive!
5D57173E-5C23-4A71-99F1-EE62BE96E4C9.jpeg

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A specific takeaway here from your study was the rebound rates on tap rinsed rocks. Prior to this charting all guesses were in place ranging from not any harm, I would have voted for almost no harm measurable at all (out of habit for always taking the side for bacterial strength in a hobby that always seems to doubt) and then some votes were for total kill/ sterility of the rinsed surfaces like sending it back to being uncycled dry rock. Your study shows a neat midline and you tested it enough times to establish a convincing pattern.
I think the key is - (and another weakness of what I did) - is the length of exposure in other words - I scrubbed and rinsed the rock under vigorous tap water not in a bucket. Then set it aside - it was probably out of saltwater for perhaps 3 minutes. I didnt test it for1, 3, 6, 9, 12 - minutes. in other words there was no standardized time for rinse and scrub. If I was (and I just did scrub a rock) - going to scrub a rock with tap water - I would temperature match - then scrub, rinse and replace as quickly as possible

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice! Enjoyed following!

Something I’ve been curious about. What’s the maximum a rock process?
You are at 2ppm in 24 hrs. Could you bump up the dose, daily, until the rock can no longer process ammonia?

Why? Imagine a nano with a turbo snail the size of a half dollar. It dies while away on vacation. That’s a lot of meat that’s going to decompose!!

I have a turbo that’s at least 2.5” I look for him every day to make sure that he’s still alive!
5D57173E-5C23-4A71-99F1-EE62BE96E4C9.jpeg
I will do this with both tanks.

Purpose - to determine if its possible to saturate a rock's ability to process ammonia?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to post 305# I would have still voted they'd pass better than they did I figured wet surfaces were bulletproof without spray-on bacterial cleaner. clearly shown here shear and chlorine levels are certain change makers. I still like how a veneer of rebound is left though, its why I always have their bac

Had never got to have any sort of charting, timing, especially directly relative to reef tank substrates for handling and cleaning. you made a study we don't have to extrapolate from oceanic studies, that's rare and well done. your work can effectively set the boundaries of care, invasion control and cleaning options in a reliable way. its descriptive of a breakpoint where actually buying bottle bac again (for cycling) might be indicated after a cycle.

not during a common cleaning, even a deep one

but if you are tap water rinsing on many rocks then perhaps bottle bac quick supplement is indicated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
to post 305# I would have still voted they'd pass better than they did I figured wet surfaces were bulletproof without spray-on bacterial cleaner. clearly shown here shear and chlorine levels are certain change makers. I still like how a veneer of rebound is left though, its why I always have their bac

Had never got to have any sort of charting, timing, especially directly relative to reef tank substrates for handling and cleaning. you made a study we don't have to extrapolate from oceanic studies, that's rare and well done. your work can effectively set the boundaries of care, invasion control and cleaning options in a reliable way. its descriptive of a breakpoint where actually buying bottle bac again (for cycling) might be indicated after a cycle.

not during a common cleaning, even a deep one

but if you are tap water rinsing on many rocks then perhaps bottle bac quick supplement is indicated.
Just will make a quick comment for the 1-20 time - If you quote the post - it makes sense. BTW the tanks are still up and running. I'm planning another experiment - as to how long the bacteria in the rock can process ammonia. with a 'zero' ammonia reading

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 139 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back