New Ocellaris Clowns 'Fighting' - Normal? Or Concerning?

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So I've added some young Ocellaris Clowns to my 30G (120L) tank. Anemone went in last week, so their home was ready for them when they went in!

They seemed quite happy on day one (see pictures) were "sharing" the Anemone and more or less getting along fine. Very cute!

However 3 days in now, one of the clowns appears to have been 'ejected' from the Anemone by the other, and if he tries to approach he basically gets bullied into leaving. He now just hangs out generally at bottom or side of tank, whilst the other one lives it up in the Anemone.

Is this cause for concern? Will the ejected clown be OK?... Any tips? Or just let nature run its course?

(3rd image is the 'ejected' clown all alone tonight [emoji24])

Cheers all.
VideoCapture_20180803-234412.jpeg
VideoCapture_20180803-234322.jpeg
20180803_232337.jpeg

OP
OP
CookeRS

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realise I've somehow posted this in the wrong section - sorry, I cant figure out how to move it either dang it!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is their way of determining dominance. In doing this one will become dominant, and the other will become submissive. Your dominant clown will become your female, and the other will become male. Perfectly normal :)

OP
OP
CookeRS

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is their way of determining dominance. In doing this one will become dominant, and the other will become submissive. Your dominant clown will become your female, and the other will become male. Perfectly normal :)

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and moving me to the right forum Crabs ;)

Austin Wiant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing happened to me when I bought 2 young clowns. They were with each other the first couple of days but know one chases the other but they are still friendly towards each other

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's both normal and concerning. Absolutely true that they're establishing dominance (in clowns the dominant becomes female, as opposed to fish like anthias where the dominant becomes male). Often that ends up with a bonded pair, but not always. I've found the best way to pair clowns (and Bangai), is to buy four or five, let a pair get established and remove the 'rejects'.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's both normal and concerning. Absolutely true that they're establishing dominance (in clowns the dominant becomes female, as opposed to fish like anthias where the dominant becomes male). Often that ends up with a bonded pair, but not always. I've found the best way to pair clowns (and Bangai), is to buy four or five, let a pair get established and remove the 'rejects'.
That's interesting, I've never heard of that method. My biggest concern with that would be that some of the extras get killed from their fighting and then not only would I be out that money for the cost of the fish because no fish store will refund you that, i'd also be responsible for the death of an animal. Plus once you do have a pair, what do you do with the extras? return them to the fish store? Most stores won't pay you to take your fish, so again you're out that extra money.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not actually had any die that way. Usually I just give away or trade those that don't pair. Obviously it becomes problematic if one does expensive 'designer' clowns ..... maybe that's why I do not LOL.

OP
OP
CookeRS

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we're a month in with the clowns now... There is definitely a dominant one. They've been pretty agro toward each other and still are occasionally...

The smaller one still tried to hold his own, however, he's clearly got a damaged mouth from their pecking at each other. Anything I can do to potentially treat the clown? Maybe I should seperate him for a bit?
20180907_193727.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back