• Start date
  • Tagged users None

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ficklefins-Do you think the body of the fish has a different shape to it?I think alot of people think that b/c the fish has no stripes and we just dont know the real body shape.

XCrunnr36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feel like more than anything else what people need to respect about ORA is what they do is d*** near a miracle... i mean we collect essentially... nature. and they present us with new releases... OF NATURE. i will agree that these are not the most fantastical released clowns ever (though i do like the domino) not to mention aqua culturing is hugely important to our actual reefs i dont think anyone shouldnt be able to provide their opinion but ORA is a good thing for this hobby...

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i feel like more than anything else what people need to respect about ORA is what they do is d*** near a miracle... i mean we collect essentially... nature. and they present us with new releases... OF NATURE. i will agree that these are not the most fantastical released clowns ever (though i do like the domino) not to mention aqua culturing is hugely important to our actual reefs i dont think anyone shouldnt be able to provide their opinion but ORA is a good thing for this hobby...
never said ORA itself is bad..just these new clown releases are bad..The acculturated mandarins, and many of their SPS are awesome

XCrunnr36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh i know. i absolutely wasn't directing that at any one person in particular, i've just noticed a negative overall attitude towards ora recently and offering my .02 on the matter.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was there and saw the first baby batch of the all black clowns!! i was soooo cool!!

here are pics of when i went.....i think what they do is great, and makes it so thats one less fish that is taken from the ocean! i had a blast and they were great people, and had a lot of clowns!!!!!:bigsmile: they said about 4000 per big vat....about 25' aorund, all diff kinds of clowns as well.

maybe you dont like a clown that was made, but what they do is a good thing and you cant bash that!

Attachments

• CIMG0123.jpg
    CIMG0123.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 158
  • CIMG0162.jpg
    CIMG0162.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 176
  • CIMG0163.jpg
    CIMG0163.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 217
  • CIMG0113.jpg
    CIMG0113.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 154
  • CIMG0117.jpg
    CIMG0117.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Diamondsinthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's awesome that they keep offering stuff that we haven't seen in the hobby. They do a lot for this hobby and take a lot of pressure off wild populations of numerous different species. Keep up the good work ORA

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly prefer to stick with what god intended them to be lol those platniums and all that other stuff almost made me vomit in my mouth when I seen them. I honestly think they should stick with aquaculturing corals and raising normal clowns rather than experimenting with them. Although I am not sure but I believe theres more into these morphed specimens than just mating them and saying lets see what we get here because this doesnt happen in the ocean so there has to be something more indepth that they are doing.

mlove

Reefing Peasant
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like the black look, but I also really like the white stripes that come with them. Do they find these fish or are they isolating particular genes to "make" them (the originals)?

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the clowns were adults and "pediatric", no pics were allowed in the grow out section. the "experiments" with clowns is nothing more than putting them together and if they do it...they do it. they are not artificially inseminating clown fish to make a certain species. it is something that could have happened in the wild if the fish were together and feeling like a little bow chika bow wow.

i agree with ora and the things they are doing. they are now being able to tank raise angels, and mandarins! saving ocean wildlife....im for that!

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly prefer to stick with what god intended them to be lol those platniums and all that other stuff almost made me vomit in my mouth when I seen them. I honestly think they should stick with aquaculturing corals and raising normal clowns rather than experimenting with them. Although I am not sure but I believe theres more into these morphed specimens than just mating them and saying lets see what we get here because this doesnt happen in the ocean so there has to be something more indepth that they are doing.
DISCLAIMER - I'm not trying to start a big philosophical debate, just throwing this out there.

By that logic, God made us (if you believe that sort of thing being the caveat). God gave us free will and the ability to reason and logic. Human intelligence has increased to the point that we understand genetics, to an extent, and are able to use selective breeding practices to produce a desired genetic trait over time in a species. By that thought process, God made this fish.

IMHO the reason this doesn't happen in the ocean is that things like this are either beneficial or detrimental morphs. If they are detrimental that fish will not survive in the wild. If they are beneficial, that morph will be genetically proliferated throughout the species to the point where the entire species reflects the beneficial morph or we see a split in species and eventually end up with a new one. Survival of the fittest, as they say.

Take this argument for what it's worth... that is, essentially nothing! :wink:

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish were selectivly breed.Like they could have done something like this:

Mom:Naked Ocellaris
Dad:Extreme Mis-Bar Black Ocellaris
The 2 fish breed and ORA gets fish some fish that are brown and have no stripes.

They then could take one of the last batch and breed it with another Extreme Mis-Bar Black Ocellaris.

After that combo the coloration of the fish would be darker and they might even breed farther down to get more "black coloration" in the genes.

Does that make scence?

OP
OP
I

inactive

View Badges
Ugh.. Lets try and keep this about the two clownfish, and not about the history of ORA... or your personal opinion of what the company has been putting out.

Jonreefer, I will ask you publicly.. never PM me again, thank you.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back