new pink streak wrasse missing

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased a small pink streak wrasse who seemed to take to acclimating ok but i have not seen him since i put him in my tank yesterday afternoon. Like the second I put him in the tank he darted into the rockwork. Whats the chances that he is still alive in there? lol

Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 5.4
phosphate 0.03
alk 8
ph 7.9

tank mates
one spot foxface
White tail tang (kind of a jerk)
Lawn mower blenny
2 clowns
cleaner shrimp
lots of snails.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I purchased a small pink streak wrasse who seemed to take to acclimating ok but i have not seen him since i put him in my tank yesterday afternoon. Like the second I put him in the tank he darted into the rockwork. Whats the chances that he is still alive in there? lol
While good hiders, they also end up at times in overflow boxes leading to sump and what I did not want to include but also good jumpers. Start with overflow box and check sump

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I’ve added a wrasse, they usually hide themselves for a few days. I like the ones that hide in the sand, so they’d hide there for 2-3 days and then turn up. I added a royal gramma once and never saw the thing again.

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine did the same thing. Took a few days.
thats good to hear

He’s alive , you’ll see him in a couple days when he’s acclimated to his surrounds.

heres to him being happy

rs, they also end up at times in overflow boxes leading to sump and what I did not want to include but also good jumpers. Start with overflow box and check sump

I changed my socks today so I didnt see him in the sock or anything, Also just checked my overflow and cant see him in there but its so dark and has a lot of current so it makes it hard to see anything. I have Tropic Eden rock work which is kinda like tonga so its he could easily hide for eternity

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whenever I’ve added a wrasse, they usually hide themselves for a few days. I like the ones that hide in the sand, so they’d hide there for 2-3 days and then turn up. I added a royal gramma once and never saw the thing again.

well i'm bare bottom so nowhere to hide in there.... hopefully he shows up here in the next couple days. I go ona short trip for the next few days so hopefully i see him when i come back

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine disappeared after the first night. Very nerve wracking not being able to see it at all at any angle on my peninsula tank lol. I kept checking the aio sump and the floor (I had a mesh lid but you never know) around the tank but finally saw it at feeding time on day 3 or 4. All I saw was its eye glowing in a hole in the rocks and it slowly backed away.

Nerves finally calmed after seeing the eye lol.

I think I’ve had it about a month or so now and it’s gotten a lot more used to me but still is super timid.

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jealous. Where did you find a pink streaked wrasse for sale?

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jealous. Where did you find a pink streaked wrasse for sale?

ive been in contact with dr reef for a few months and they contacted me about one someone never paid for. I got most my fish from him anyway and been happy with both orders so far.

i know they dont like to sell them because ghey ship really badly :/

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been in contact with dr reef for a few months and they contacted me about one someone never paid for. I got most my fish from him anyway and been happy with both orders so far.

i know they dont like to sell them because ghey ship really badly :/
I didn't try Dr Reef bc it's listed as not available on there. Guess I should have asked. I ordered a Possum Wrasse from him instead a few weeks ago.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i'll put money on the fact that it’s still alive
and well…
just cooling within the rockwork.

they’re cryptic even when they’re well adjusted.
give it time…

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 5.4
phosphate 0.03
alk 8
ph 7.9

tank mates
one spot foxface
White tail tang (kind of a jerk)
Lawn mower blenny
2 clowns
cleaner shrimp
lots of snails.
Mine took about a month before I saw him come out a bit. It hid for a long time.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine disappeared after the first night. Very nerve wracking not being able to see it at all at any angle on my peninsula tank lol. I kept checking the aio sump and the floor (I had a mesh lid but you never know) around the tank but finally saw it at feeding time on day 3 or 4. All I saw was its eye glowing in a hole in the rocks and it slowly backed away.

Nerves finally calmed after seeing the eye lol.

I think I’ve had it about a month or so now and it’s gotten a lot more used to me but still is super timid.
I’ve had my trio for over 2-3 weeks now… I’ve owned this species for 2-3 years now and this scenario still scares me at night:
A4DF74E9-AA23-4AE6-BFF1-84F37D6C8692.jpeg
The cryptic behaviour you see in the start is what you’d find in the wild. I love watching my three stroll around my 3’x16” tank.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my trio for over 2-3 weeks now… I’ve owned this species for 2-3 years now and this scenario still scares me at night:
A4DF74E9-AA23-4AE6-BFF1-84F37D6C8692.jpeg
The cryptic behaviour you see in the start is what you’d find in the wild. I love watching my three stroll around my 3’x16” tank.

haha yeah I love the looks mine gives me. One of the few fish that I can actually tell is watching me lol. You can see their eyes turning and following you.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streaks were on Divers Den not that long ago. They didn’t even sell immediately. They are a bit seasonal and not super common. Reef pro had one forever as well.

If you really want one. All you need to do is sign up for email alerts on LA/Blue zoo and then do your diligence and check DD and other venders frequently.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fact they still have them.

You guys ain’t even trying haha :)

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i'm bare bottom so nowhere to hide in there.... hopefully he shows up here in the next couple days. I go ona short trip for the next few days so hopefully i see him when i come back
I am 99% sure you're aware as you seem knowledgeable about your situation. Might be a dumb answer of me, but don't wrasse need a sand bed to sleep in? That is where mine went the first time I introduced him and he staying in sand bed for 1-2 days before he is out and about all day nbw

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s only certain species that need and use the sand. I think I read that the pink streaked wrasses will make some sort of mucus nest in the rockwork
I’ve found they don’t actually make mucous cocoons like the Fairy and Flasher Wrasses are known for.
They don’t use the sand either, instead they just tuck themselves into a secure crevice that they feel safe in and sleep in there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back