new popbloom rs90

Biskot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Just got mine for my cubic Blau 91L (45*45*45). If you have any suggestions for the ramp settings... I've limited the power @35% with vividcolor mode atm.

Thanks !

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4 season, with moonlight set to 1%, but also looking for recommendations and opinions....

tyjp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, little question(s) for rs90 users....

Did you leave default light scheme, or did u program something.on your own?

Happy with default scheme, but, if theres way to tweak it little bit... Why not...

Another, lunar cycle.... Are u using it, i'm affraid that the light is too bright, when at 20-30%, if someone using it for longer time, id like to hear opinions and experiences with this feature..

Tnx!
I didn’t like the presets so I fully programmed my own.
Ch1 Ramps up to 30% 10:30-6:00
Ch2 ramps up to 20% 10:30-7:00
Ch3 ramps up to 80% 8:30-8:30
Ch4 ramps up to 30% 10:30- 6:00

They peak about 2:30-3pm
fully off from 8:30-8:30

I haven’t based it off anything other than looks honestly but the corals have been reacting great. These Acans were on their deathbed in the other tank a few weeks ago but coming back under these lights in new tank.

A6CDD97A-9643-4C1A-AB04-316C3E8679A3.jpeg 6AEF8FAD-1490-4D77-9686-EBF2CB653054.jpeg

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i got this correctly, you only use channel 3 at 80%, other three is 30 or below %?

Does this provide enough par and light?

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is enough for Acan.
Please also notice duration of the lighting, it is almost 12 hours. if 100%, it may hurt the coral.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love these lights.

A couple of improvements.
1. Schedules do not factor in light limitation. So if you want to limit 1 or more channels to reduce par, the schedule does not auto adjust to factor this in.

Current schedule (time are standardized since each channel can vary):
1633642235775.png

How schedule works with 50% limit:
1633642266195.png

How it probably should work (formula: ceiling(original * (channel limit), 10):
1633642303331.png

2. Default schedule of 16 hours seems long. Should probably default to 12 hours since that is the max a real coral would be exposed to. Also, at least in my tank, 16 hours is leading to algae breakouts.

Here is my new schedule. Note, I really love the blues, so limiting channel 1 to increase visual flourescence. I just switch to this schedule today, so I'll update after I let it run for a few weeks. I'm hoping the loss of 4 hours of light will help reduce the algae.
1633642558873.png

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love these lights.

A couple of improvements.
1. Schedules do not factor in light limitation. So if you want to limit 1 or more channels to reduce par, the schedule does not auto adjust to factor this in.

Current schedule (time are standardized since each channel can vary):
1633642235775.png

How schedule works with 50% limit:
1633642266195.png

How it probably should work (formula: ceiling(original * (channel limit), 10):
1633642303331.png

2. Default schedule of 16 hours seems long. Should probably default to 12 hours since that is the max a real coral would be exposed to. Also, at least in my tank, 16 hours is leading to algae breakouts.

Here is my new schedule. Note, I really love the blues, so limiting channel 1 to increase visual flourescence. I just switch to this schedule today, so I'll update after I let it run for a few weeks. I'm hoping the loss of 4 hours of light will help reduce the algae.
1633642558873.png
Nice writeup!

I like the lamps so far, but yeah, light limit is stupid/lazy.

There really should be an update to adjust max Lux (all channels proportional) and not the ceiling for individual channels.

Small complaint for otherwise nice lamps.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love them too, buy yeah, there are some issues with them.

Too long and too strong period, for start. It's great to have multiple presets, but that's poorly documented (for example, i'd like to have some table or chart for channels and timings in all of presets, but in manual is only for vivid color), also, there's no way to customize presets, so if one want to run reduce algae preset, it is doomed to 16 hour cycle, and timings, and i really dont want for my lights to turn at 4am, of course, u can shift time, but, pointless, that have no effect on cycle period.

Limit intensity is also uselles, like said, this is just to top channel intensity, and not to distribute channel settings.

Also, there's no way to save custom preset, so one can experiment and see what work best for his tank.

I love to have sunrise - low blue light for hour or two, ramps slowly and then from 12-5pm full power, then ramps down, and after 10pm to lets say 12am again low 1% blue light, then darkness.

Lunar cycle is good feature, but, way to strong light at some days, again, no customization possible, only set custom moonlight to chosen %, and most iritating - again time limit when moonlight can start and when end.

I run similar custom seting, from 8:30am to 10am 1% channel 2, then from 10 to 12am slow ramp up, from 12-5pm full power, then ramp down to 0% at 1 and 4 channel in 8pm, channel 3 goes of at 10pm, and channel 2 ramps down from 15% at 10pm to 0% at 11:50pm.....

Limited white to 35%, other chanels at 100%, probably i will lower all chanels a bit, except white, its too blue if i go below 35% white.

Great lights, but limited controller i guess, of course in that price range i dont expect to customize everything, but more user friendly and customizable controller will make this product even better. Basicaly, more advanced stuff, even if it cost little more.

Buy yeah, i will definitly buy another unit, maybe even two....

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love them too, buy yeah, there are some issues with them.

Too long and too strong period, for start. It's great to have multiple presets, but that's poorly documented (for example, i'd like to have some table or chart for channels and timings in all of presets, but in manual is only for vivid color), also, there's no way to customize presets, so if one want to run reduce algae preset, it is doomed to 16 hour cycle, and timings, and i really dont want for my lights to turn at 4am, of course, u can shift time, but, pointless, that have no effect on cycle period.

Limit intensity is also uselles, like said, this is just to top channel intensity, and not to distribute channel settings.

Also, there's no way to save custom preset, so one can experiment and see what work best for his tank.

I love to have sunrise - low blue light for hour or two, ramps slowly and then from 12-5pm full power, then ramps down, and after 10pm to lets say 12am again low 1% blue light, then darkness.

Lunar cycle is good feature, but, way to strong light at some days, again, no customization possible, only set custom moonlight to chosen %, and most iritating - again time limit when moonlight can start and when end.

I run similar custom seting, from 8:30am to 10am 1% channel 2, then from 10 to 12am slow ramp up, from 12-5pm full power, then ramp down to 0% at 1 and 4 channel in 8pm, channel 3 goes of at 10pm, and channel 2 ramps down from 15% at 10pm to 0% at 11:50pm.....

Limited white to 35%, other chanels at 100%, probably i will lower all chanels a bit, except white, its too blue if i go below 35% white.

Great lights, but limited controller i guess, of course in that price range i dont expect to customize everything, but more user friendly and customizable controller will make this product even better. Basicaly, more advanced stuff, even if it cost little more.

Buy yeah, i will definitly buy another unit, maybe even two....
I'd also love to see an add on to allow GHL and APEX be able to control the light channels via the v1-10 or PMW ports. Would really allow for tighter control for those who want it, and those who don't can use the default controller. I think it could be an updated controller or a replacement controller box that provides the connectivity. I think it would also help to boost sales, especially in USA.

@Oliver@DSunY - Just making sure you see these reviews. :)

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda makes me sad, i saw some lower quality products than this have better controlability, even wifi, app control, and this great product is crippled without reason.

Dont ask or need much, wifi, some app, or even only more customizable controller, and if that's not.possible for now, id be happy with plain paper or picture with settings for presets, so that i can program my light schedule based on one of presets, for now i have very little use of something so important....

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, this is kinda death topic, but, anyway....

It just crissed my mind, if we change and set our custom timing, did we affect spectum as well?

We dont have documentation, so i wonder, if we set chanels at something different than presets, did we still have correct spectrum, or are we just doing worse to our corals?

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched some video's on Youtube and the shimmer reminds me of metal halides am i right? Slightly softer than Kessils.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, this is kinda death topic, but, anyway....

It just crissed my mind, if we change and set our custom timing, did we affect spectum as well?

We dont have documentation, so i wonder, if we set chanels at something different than presets, did we still have correct spectrum, or are we just doing worse to our corals?
A PAR meter is all you need.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better documentation is all i need, but i agree. Sadly, par meter rental is sf in my country, buying one also.....

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda makes me sad, i saw some lower quality products than this have better controlability, even wifi, app control, and this great product is crippled without reason.

Dont ask or need much, wifi, some app, or even only more customizable controller, and if that's not.possible for now, id be happy with plain paper or picture with settings for presets, so that i can program my light schedule based on one of presets, for now i have very little use of something so important....
I know, but I would rather be inconvenienced with clumsy programming and have a quality product than one with bells and whistles that breaks constantly.
No free lunch!

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, this is kind of dead topic, but, anyway....

It just crossed my mind, if we change and set our custom timing, did we affect spectrum as well?

We don't have documentation, so I wonder, if we set channels at something different than presets, did we still have correct spectrum, or are we just doing worse to our corals?
I am not exactly sure what you mean. Like, if the levels of the channels are not linear? Like level being set at 50% would not equal to 50% light output?
I did not test that precisely, but I could measure it, and it would give me a reason to stop being lazy and actually adjust the levels to my liking instead of using pre prog settings ;P

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, but I would rather be inconvenienced with clumsy programming and have a quality product than one with bells and whistles that breaks constantly.
No free lunch!
I totally agree on that. Add gadget, and people will constantly complain that its not working good enough, they have issue connecting, etc. I think they played safe with that. For the price, you cant hope for much better, I think. Been almost a year, and they are still doing great. Maybe I could do another PAR reading to see if led degraded over time...

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree on that. Add gadget, and people will constantly complain that its not working good enough, they have issue connecting, etc. I think they played safe with that. For the price, you cant hope for much better, I think. Been almost a year, and they are still doing great. Maybe I could do another PAR reading to see if led degraded over time...
Good to know, I'm running the channels 30-75% so I could always dial them up when diode output deminishes.

I got a jebao WIFI gyre that refuses to bind, so I simply put it on a mechanical time switch. KISS method is usually best.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back