new pygmy wrasse has swim bladder issues

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i got a pygmy wrasse last night in the mail i thought it was dead but it wasn’t and it’s condition hasn’t gotten any better besides he’s more aware

i found out he had swim bladder issues when i tried to switch him from hiding into a cup and into a pvc pipe

while i did that he just kept swimming awkwardly and always nose diving into the bottom of the cage that i had him in

so do i try to treat him or do i put him down and message live aquaria and see what they can do or should i message them before

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait. Sometimes, when fish are shipped, they are exposed to pressure changes on the plane that affects their swim bladder....this can sometimes resolve over a few days.
That said, it is pretty common for for folks to mix the symptoms of a moribund fish with a swim bladder problem. Moribund fish swim aimlessly or twitch. Swim bladder issues make the fish either positive or negative buoyant, and the fish fights against it.
Jay

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait. Sometimes, when fish are shipped, they are exposed to pressure changes on the plane that affects their swim bladder....this can sometimes resolve over a few days.
That said, it is pretty common for for folks to mix the symptoms of a moribund fish with a swim bladder problem. Moribund fish swim aimlessly or twitch. Swim bladder issues make the fish either positive or negative buoyant, and the fish fights against it.
Jay
ok i’ll wait it out thanks for the help but i thought the continuous bumping and swimming down was a symptom of a swim bladder issue

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait. Swim bladders can heal. It’s the stress that causes secondary disease that may cause death.

if you have him in a tank by himself with low flow it will give him a good chance.

you also may want to do a dip in methylene blue.

I had a clown with ruptured swim bladder. He is happy and healthy today.
here is the thread.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait. Swim bladders can heal. It’s the stress that causes secondary disease that may cause death.

if you have him in a tank by himself with low flow it will give him a good chance.

you also may want to do a dip in methylene blue.

I had a clown with ruptured swim bladder. He is happy and healthy today.
here is the thread.
ok thanks for the help and he’s in a pvc tube right now in a home made acclamation box
and i’ll have to look at that one stuff

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back