OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Srry that you haven't found it. That is very frustrating.

[edit] If it helps any, I use reef frenzy and selcon as well and that it not a source of tin for me.

Very!

thank you that does help me eliminate possibilities.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to steal your crown but
Screenshot_20200110-234827_Chrome.jpg

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! any ideas?
Nope. My jaw hit the floor. My tank seems to be doing great again... I doubt it's sustainable with a level like that though. Water changes for sure... and maybe cuprisorb will help?

I'm going to look around for anything, but my test indicated elevated copper, aluminum and tin. I'm going to have to figure this out one way or another.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to steal your crown but
Screenshot_20200110-234827_Chrome.jpg

yowza! Any new pvc on the system? That seemed to be the biggest culprit for me. After that I’d start looking for any questionable magnet. Good luck!

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to follow up for anyone curious, after removing the UV and doing a bunch of WC my tank bounced back and is doing great.

I’m taking all the new pvc as the main suspect.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yowza! Any new pvc on the system? That seemed to be the biggest culprit for me. After that I’d start looking for any questionable magnet. Good luck!
Not new pvc, but I have plenty of pvc. No magnets that I can see exposed either. Does it have to be new pvc?

I just realized that I have a bronze bracelet that I wear, bronze is composed of tin, copper and aluminum, I guess it could that

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might hold the record for Vanadium. The culprit being some Tahitian Black Moon sand. Acceptable levels are between 2-10, I was over 9 thousand.

DFD9C614-83F2-4655-9A80-298B204CD814.jpeg 46AEF5B3-9F51-4E17-B17E-41453216925C.jpeg
We too purchased this stuff and paid the price.... I wish we had been on R2R then.. I could have saved a lot of fish lives...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is pvc a source?

Some plasticizers in PVC are tin based.

Tin can also come from glass itself (it is usually made by floating on molten tin), and from metal parts.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had levels almost as high as yours. I drove myself crazy over the course of 8 months sweeping the sand with magnets, taking apart all equipment, etc. etc. etc. I could not find any obvious sources. Water changes helped temporary lower levels, but they would bounce right back up. No media I tried (cuprisorb, polyfilter, carbon, etc.) helped reduce the levels.

In my case, I finally realized it was my BRS Pharma Kalkwasser. It’s the las thing I would have thought since I trusted BRS and they tout how pure the stuff is. However, ICP doesn’t lie... water going into the kalk reactor was zero, and the water coming out of the kalk reactor was 185 ug/l. No metal parts in the reactor. In my tank, the levels were 75 ug/l until I pulled the kalk off line. I lost a bunch of SPS, but most of my other corals survived the ordeal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had levels almost as high as yours. I drove myself crazy over the course of 8 months sweeping the sand with magnets, taking apart all equipment, etc. etc. etc. I could not find any obvious sources. Water changes helped temporary lower levels, but they would bounce right back up. No media I tried (cuprisorb, polyfilter, carbon, etc.) helped reduce the levels.

In my case, I finally realized it was my BRS Pharma Kalkwasser. It’s the las thing I would have thought since I trusted BRS and they tout how pure the stuff is. However, ICP doesn’t lie... water going into the kalk reactor was zero, and the water coming out of the kalk reactor was 185 ug/l. No metal parts in the reactor. In my tank, the levels were 75 ug/l until I pulled the kalk off line. I lost a bunch of SPS, but most of my other corals survived the ordeal.

I think that is unlikely that the BRS kalk itself was adding that much tin as opposed to the other features of the delivery system. BRS shows measurements that are hundreds of times lower, and the level you show likely would not pass the grading quality that they claim. Even the cheap kalkwasser products they compare themselves to had about the same amount.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is unlikely that the BRS kalk itself was adding that much tin as opposed to the other features of the delivery system. BRS shows measurements that are hundreds of times lower, and the level you show likely would not pass the grading quality that they claim. Even the cheap kalkwasser products they compare themselves to had about the same amount.

I don’t know how else to read into it. I sent in a sample for ICP analysis. I took a sample from the RO water going into the reactor and a sample of the kalk reactor output water. It’s an Avast Marine K1 reactor with no metal parts in the reactor. I was using a BRS dosing pump with no metal parts. The reactor was set up new, and once set up, there is a lid on it so nothing metal could have fallen into the reactor. Also, when I took the reactor off line, my Tin levels plummeted. If it wasn’t the Kalk, I have no idea what in the delivery system could have been leaching Tin. The reactor is made of acrylic, which I don’t believe would leach Tin.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how else to read into it. I sent in a sample for ICP analysis. I took a sample from the RO water going into the reactor and a sample of the kalk reactor output water. It’s an Avast Marine K1 reactor with no metal parts in the reactor. I was using a BRS dosing pump with no metal parts. The reactor was set up new, and once set up, there is a lid on it so nothing metal could have fallen into the reactor. Also, when I took the reactor off line, my Tin levels plummeted. If it wasn’t the Kalk, I have no idea what in the delivery system could have been leaching Tin. The reactor is made of acrylic, which I don’t believe would leach Tin.

Tubing going in or out? I don't know.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back