New Reefer - 75 Gallon Flip - In the uglies?

JordanInNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
So after one too many suggestions and asks from friends on why I have two good-sized freshwater tanks (125g and 75g), I decided it was time to try out corals. I'm trying to keep the total build, pre-livestock, to under $2k, while having something larger than 60g. I have both my tanks on stands, but neither will be able to fit a sump, and the end product has to pass the wife test and look like a finished product. I decided the cheapest viable entry to a reef is buying a Fiji 75G AIO conversion kit, and making the 75 into a peninsula style reef tank, setting it jutting out from the wall. After a visit to a great LFS here called The Urban Anemone, I picked up 60lbs of Bimini Pink live sand, brightwell microbacter7 and fastartm, and 30lbs of dry rock. I have the AIO kit coming on Thursday from BRS along with another 30lbs of rock, and a RODI system. I'm on the prowl for a good light/lighting system but the 48x18 footprint seems to be making that hard. I'm just looking to do softies and lps for now, but would prefer something that gives me flexibility for the future. Eventually I'll have to get a skimmer as well, but it'll need to be 4" wide at mos. due to the AIO configuration. I figure I can drill for a sump in the future if I decide to build a base stand/cabinet and that all the equipments and rock I'm getting would transfer to a new tank if I decide to go that direction in a year or two.

Since I don't have any photos of the new tank just yet, here's a clip of the 125 African Cichlid tank.

Attachments

• 20230716_175122.mp4
    33.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,
So after one too many suggestions and asks from friends on why I have two good-sized freshwater tanks (125g and 75g), I decided it was time to try out corals. I'm trying to keep the total build, pre-livestock, to under $2k, while having something larger than 60g. I have both my tanks on stands, but neither will be able to fit a sump, and the end product has to pass the wife test and look like a finished product. I decided the cheapest viable entry to a reef is buying a Fiji 75G AIO conversion kit, and making the 75 into a peninsula style reef tank, setting it jutting out from the wall. After a visit to a great LFS here called The Urban Anemone, I picked up 60lbs of Bimini Pink live sand, brightwell microbacter7 and fastartm, and 30lbs of dry rock. I have the AIO kit coming on Thursday from BRS along with another 30lbs of rock, and a RODI system. I'm on the prowl for a good light/lighting system but the 48x18 footprint seems to be making that hard. I'm just looking to do softies and lps for now, but would prefer something that gives me flexibility for the future. Eventually I'll have to get a skimmer as well, but it'll need to be 4" wide at mos. due to the AIO configuration. I figure I can drill for a sump in the future if I decide to build a base stand/cabinet and that all the equipments and rock I'm getting would transfer to a new tank if I decide to go that direction in a year or two.

Since I don't have any photos of the new tank just yet, here's a clip of the 125 African Cichlid tank.
Are these tanks reef ready with overflows or Conventional tanks?
If conventional- what are your filter and lighting plans?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gif_1688674334084.gif

OP
OP
JordanInNC

JordanInNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these tanks reef ready with overflows or Conventional tanks?
If conventional- what are your filter and lighting plans?
So the tank is a few year old petco Aqueon 75, that I had a canister filter on. I'm dropping the canister filter and using this kit instead for filtering - Figi 75g AIO - and looking through the marketplace forum for some old xr15's g5's or maybe one centrally located xr30 to get started.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So the tank is a few year old petco Aqueon 75, that I had a canister filter on. I'm dropping the canister filter and using this kit instead for filtering - Figi 75g AIO - and looking through the marketplace forum for some old xr15's g5's or maybe one centrally located xr30 to get started.
Excellent. You will be happy with this refugium

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Great looking tank!

OP
OP
JordanInNC

JordanInNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all the equipment, sand, and rocks got here, and I bought an old AquaticLife 48" 2-T5/HID combo light on FB marketplace. The plan is to hang the light from the oversized shelf supports, which stick out 15" from the wall. That plan stumbled, as the wire pulled free from the securing clamp, and was too frayed to get back through. Amazon will be delivering a cable cutter/crimper in the morning, so I should get a clean connection then.

I probably overbought on rock... I got 20lbs of Marcos rock from BRS, then cancelled a Chewy.com order for another 80lbs, and bought 30 from my LFS. Apparently Chewy's fulfillment center didn't get the memo, and I had 80lbs of free (very bulky) rock show up on my doorstep. How much does rock-scaping matter for a reef?

Attachments

• 20230721_004342.jpg
    20230721_004342.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230721_004334.jpg
    20230721_004334.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230721_004509.jpg
    20230721_004509.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230720_191137.jpg
    20230720_191137.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230721_004326.jpg
    20230721_004326.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
JordanInNC

JordanInNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for feedback on my first attempt at an aquascape before I fill the tank with water tomorrow. Anything I should tweak? I'm looking to raise LPS and softies for now, and that fixture has only two T5's and a single working HID 150w spotlight for reference.
20230721_154724.jpg 20230721_155802.jpg 20230721_155740.jpg

OP
OP
JordanInNC

JordanInNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, not sure if anyone will even read this, but I'm a month down the line and have a fully cycled tank. Ten days ago I added a few clowns , a zoa frag and $50 worth of pulsing xenia (9 buds as the FLS was happy to rip out a ton). Five days ago my overfeeding led to a bunch brown growth breaking out on the lit rock and so I ran out and got some cleanup crew, 5 hermits, and 8 snails, and tiger 'pods. That's all been sitting in the tank for about 10 days. Looking forward to being able to add some more 'life' to the tank. Ammonia and Nitrite still sitting at 0, not much nitrate, as I think it's being taken up by the growth and xenia, and I'm not contributing too much due to the filter socks catching excess food.
1692219971123.png
1692219835874.png

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, not sure if anyone will even read this, but I'm a month down the line and have a fully cycled tank. Ten days ago I added a few clowns , a zoa frag and $50 worth of pulsing xenia (9 buds as the FLS was happy to rip out a ton). Five days ago my overfeeding led to a bunch brown growth breaking out on the lit rock and so I ran out and got some cleanup crew, 5 hermits, and 8 snails, and tiger 'pods. That's all been sitting in the tank for about 10 days. Looking forward to being able to add some more 'life' to the tank. Ammonia and Nitrite still sitting at 0, not much nitrate, as I think it's being taken up by the growth and xenia, and I'm not contributing too much due to the filter socks catching excess food.
1692219971123.png
1692219835874.png
Tank is looking great! Glad you got it cycled!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back