View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4C283D40-8AA6-4C61-8143-E34A7F096083.jpeg
19683EAC-34AE-4975-B063-D62240E31B5A.jpeg
81824FA5-37E0-4065-AEAA-16F71DF30D8B.jpeg
D107C9F5-DA94-481F-9C84-670847573952.jpeg

Basically a blank canvas at this point .

to answer your earlier question, start a thread in the member tank forum and post these pics and that is your build thread

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You have come to the right place. I started just as you are a little over 2 years ago. Congrats on your patience. I have just moved and tore down my 1st tank after 2 years of nothing but learning. I’m now waiting for my new tank to arrive next week. I’m really anxious to apply all I have learned to this build. I have learned how to ask for advice and how to sort through the many different options that exist in this awesome hobby. Your build looks great so far.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post! That’s a great story and awesome result of the game !! I actually was planning on attending the LIRA meeting myself next week but the problem is I work late on Friday nights so it’s a 50/50 whether I can get out to Commack in time . Hope to see you if I can get there and meet some new people .

No question is a dumb question, Starting a build thread is your own thread that you have to show off you system and use as a journal. Others can see and learn what you have done to build your system. Myself I like to go back and look and the things that I have done that work and that did not:rolleyes::)

OP
OP
B

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No question is a dumb question, Starting a build thread is your own thread that you have to show off you system and use as a journal. Others can see and learn what you have done to build your system. Myself I like to go back and look and the things that I have done that work and that did not:rolleyes::)
Awesome ,
Thanks for that info. I’ll get on it !

OP
OP
B

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You have come to the right place. I started just as you are a little over 2 years ago. Congrats on your patience. I have just moved and tore down my 1st tank after 2 years of nothing but learning. I’m now waiting for my new tank to arrive next week. I’m really anxious to apply all I have learned to this build. I have learned how to ask for advice and how to sort through the many different options that exist in this awesome hobby. Your build looks great so far.
Thanks for your post . Good luck to you as well . The hardest part about going slow and having patience is the pressure from my kids as to what’s taking so long lol.

OP
OP
B

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Hyde Park, Nassau. :D
Awesome. Thanks for the warm welcome to R2R. I went out yesterday and bought some things to set up a coral and invert qt. Waiting on more items from brs. I read a couple great articles here on qt’ing corals.

One question I had was : After I cycle the tank) planning on doing a fishless cycle with ammonia along with a bottle of bacteria as I’ve done with my Dt and fish qt) what keeps the cycle going long term ? Meaning , without fish in the tank , how do corals and snails alone create enough waste/ammonia to maintain a healthy bacterial colony ?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no fish in the tank you need to keep adding food. The bacteria will starve with no food and corals don't make enough waste. Can't you just put in a couple of fish to keep the cycle going?

OP
OP
B

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no fish in the tank you need to keep adding food. The bacteria will starve with no food and corals don't make enough waste. Can't you just put in a couple of fish to keep the cycle going?
Well I was under the impression that a coral qt has to remain absolutely fishless in order to assure that there is no chance or transmission of fish dieases , specifically parasites , from new corals . In other words, if new corals are brought in to the coral qt, and they are carrying marine ich cysts, any fish in the coral qt tank would be a host for parasites and keep the ice lifecycle going . I’m not sure how likely of an event this is as I have no personal experience with corals yet . I am just basing this off of what I have read. I also have a healthy fear of introducing parasites into my Dt.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brisay01. I am not the one to ask about quarantining anything because I don't quarantine anything. I am sure many people on here quarantine and would be able to answer your question better

OP
OP
B

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brisay01. I am not the one to ask about quarantining anything because I don't quarantine anything. I am sure many people on here quarantine and would be able to answer your question better
Thanks for the reply . Appreciate it . Stay warm today !

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will, it went up to 14

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back