New reefer from Long Island .

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

First post! After about a year of watching YouTube videos , I decided to go for it and begin a reef tank! Had freshwater tanks as a kid but nothing this involved ( or costly ;)

I have a 100g SCA aquarium with live sand , dry rock 5 fish and some snails so far . It’s been up and running for about 9 months . I wanted to get everything nice and stable before I start introducing any corals and I think I’m finally ready . My only main issue currently is that I can’t get my skimmer to foam despite numerous adjustments . Looking forward to checking out this forum for some sound advice from all of you ! Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! The friendlies forum on the interwebs!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy (1).gif

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. From Long Island myself. You did what is considered almost impossible for most reefers to do, which is wait 9 months to add corals. Smart person...
as for your skimmer, I would check the Venturi near the pump to make sure it is clear.

OP
OP
B

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. From Long Island myself. You did what is considered almost impossible for most reefers to do, which is wait 9 months to add corals. Smart person...
as for your skimmer, I would check the Venturi near the pump to make sure it is clear.
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice . Will check on the skimmer in the am. As for waiting the 9 months , yes I’m trying to be patient and methodical with this hobby , but also, I’ve never actually bought and placed a coral before and I have a fear of introducing unwanted pests into the tank. Watched a ton of videos on the subject but yet to actually dip (properly)/ glue etc . But that is to come hopefully soon....

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice . Will check on the skimmer in the am. As for waiting the 9 months , yes I’m trying to be patient and methodical with this hobby , but also, I’ve never actually bought and placed a coral before and I have a fear of introducing unwanted pests into the tank. Watched a ton of videos on the subject but yet to actually dip (properly)/ glue etc . But that is to come hopefully soon....
Patience is key in this hobby. It's good to wait and try one or two corals first and then go from there. Dipping and gluing is not that difficult. Many people have different ways to acclimate corals. But dipping them is very important when you acclimate them. You will get the hang of it.

OP
OP
B

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is key in this hobby. It's good to wait and try one or two corals first and then go from there. Dipping and gluing is not that difficult. Many people have different ways to acclimate corals. But dipping them is very important when you acclimate them. You will get the hang of it.
I’m not sure if this is the right section for this question but I’ll ask , do you typically remove the frag from the plug it comes on and replace it with a new one , say for example , a zoanthid frag with a few polyps on it? Or , do you generally just dip it and glue it in the tank ? The reason I ask is because usually on the instructional videos , they use an acropora frag for example and slice it cleanly off the original plug and re-glue onto a new one . I didn’t know if that technique could also be used on zoas and other soft corals . Thanks

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think acroporas are probably the easiest corals to pull away from the plug unless there is encrusting. If there is encrusting then I would not try to remove it from the plug. As for zoas, I would not bother with trying to remove them from the plug. Way too difficult and unnecessary. Some LPS can be removed from their plugs like acros and placed on a new one, which is smart to do if you have the spares. It's a matter of personal preference. I like to attach corals directly to the rock after they've been acclimated on a rack if possible. But, if I do use the plug it came with, I inspect it thoroughly and use a turkey baster to get clean them during a dip before I place it on a rack.

OP
OP
B

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think acroporas are probably the easiest corals to pull away from the plug unless there is encrusting. If there is encrusting then I would not try to remove it from the plug. As for zoas, I would not bother with trying to remove them from the plug. Way too difficult and unnecessary. Some LPS can be removed from their plugs like acros and placed on a new one, which is smart to do if you have the spares. It's a matter of personal preference. I like to attach corals directly to the rock after they've been acclimated on a rack if possible. But, if I do use the plug it came with, I inspect it thoroughly and use a turkey baster to get clean them during a dip before I place it on a rack.
Awesome advice . Thanks for your time in answering my rookie questions . It’s much appreciated.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back