OP
B

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! The friendlies forum on the interwebs!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy (1).gif
[/

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Definitely setup a small coral QT...it will be worth it. I've just recently gitten my first 2 corals... after 2 weeks in quarantine (after dipping to remove bugs), the rock that had a couple mushrooms on started showing bubble algae and even an aptasia anenome! Those are things I'm glad I didn't introduce directly into my main tank!

OP
OP
B

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Definitely setup a small coral QT...it will be worth it. I've just recently gitten my first 2 corals... after 2 weeks in quarantine (after dipping to remove bugs), the rock that had a couple mushrooms on started showing bubble algae and even an aptasia anenome! Those are things I'm glad I didn't introduce directly into my main tank!
Thanks for the advice. I already have a fish QT up and running currently with a yellow eye kole tang in copper . He looked perfect in every way for the first 4 or 5 days and then started to show signs of ich. Glad he’s in qt . Doing awesome so far but if he was in the Dt, I would have had some problems .
I was hoping I wouldn’t have to set up another qt but I realize it’s probably the safest way . Are there any online retailers that keep conditions so good that you would consider dipping and placing directly into your tank ? Also ,are aquacultured corals at the same risk of having unwanted pests etc on them ? Thanks in advance

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from across the county line, and personal thanks for your high school for lending us (Cold Spring Harbor HS) your football field for our home opener two years ago, when we miscalculated how long it would take to replace our track that summer. We won that game against Hicksville; my son was the QB.
The LIRA folks are very helpful for local resources, check put their sub-forum here. i've picked up some great corals from members and knowing how they keep their tanks makes me feel better about being pest free. I am considering attending their first meeting of the year on Jan 5th, and joining.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R,

If I my suggest starting a build thread here link

Lived in Bayside Queens for a few years, wife if from Hempstead.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome advice . Thanks for your time in answering my rookie questions . It’s much appreciated.

fwiw, and i am not expert, I leave the frag on the plug after it's acclimated in case it turns out it doesn't like where I put it. I may need to trim teh frag plug to fit it in the rocks. Once I am confident it's happy, then I'll trim the frag stem as much as needed and putty and crazy glue it in place. i
i'll make a ribbon out of the putty to wrap around the base of the plug to so it takes on a more random shape. In time either the frag will encrust, other life will cover the plug or it will get hidden in the growth so that it looks natural.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I already have a fish QT up and running currently with a yellow eye kole tang in copper . He looked perfect in every way for the first 4 or 5 days and then started to show signs of ich. Glad he’s in qt . Doing awesome so far but if he was in the Dt, I would have had some problems .
I was hoping I wouldn’t have to set up another qt but I realize it’s probably the safest way . Are there any online retailers that keep conditions so good that you would consider dipping and placing directly into your tank ? Also ,are aquacultured corals at the same risk of having unwanted pests etc on them ? Thanks in advance

Personally, I think anywhere you purchase is going to be a risk. Most retailers I've seen use fish in their frag tanks to control bugs on their corals for sale, so that risk of introducing ich in the cyst stage in a coral or plug is always going to be present. Plus, retailers have such turnover that they ate always introducing new corals to those tanks. It's probably almost cost prohibitive for a retailer to fully quarantine correctly.

As for aquacultured... same risk, I would assume. The recommendation is to quaranrine them in a fishless QT for 76 days... that allows time for even the longest encysted ich strain to release and the parasites to die without a fish host. Plus a couple of dips during that time and closer observation with a magnifying glass.

OP
OP
B

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from across the county line, and personal thanks for your high school for lending us (Cold Spring Harbor HS) your football field for our home opener two years ago, when we miscalculated how long it would take to replace our track that summer. We won that game against Hicksville; my son was the QB.
The LIRA folks are very helpful for local resources, check put their sub-forum here. I am considering attending their first meeting of the year on Jan 5th, and joining.
Thanks for the post! That’s a great story and awesome result of the game !! I actually was planning on attending the LIRA meeting myself next week but the problem is I work late on Friday nights so it’s a 50/50 whether I can get out to Commack in time . Hope to see you if I can get there and meet some new people .

OP
OP
B

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R,

If I my suggest starting a build thread here link

Lived in Bayside Queens for a few years, wife if from Hempstead.
Thanks for the post! At the risk of sounding dumb , what does it mean to start a build thread ?

OP
OP
B

Brisay01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think anywhere you purchase is going to be a risk. Most retailers I've seen use fish in their frag tanks to control bugs on their corals for sale, so that risk of introducing ich in the cyst stage in a coral or plug is always going to be present. Plus, retailers have such turnover that they ate always introducing new corals to those tanks. It's probably almost cost prohibitive for a retailer to fully quarantine correctly.

As for aquacultured... same risk, I would assume. The recommendation is to quaranrine them in a fishless QT for 76 days... that allows time for even the longest encysted ich strain to release and the parasites to die without a fish host. Plus a couple of dips during that time and closer observation with a magnifying glass.

So it sounds like I should be qt’ing corals as well in a separate qt tank. I need to figure out how to cycle and maintain water quality in a fishless tank . Thanks for the post

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 ^^^ The only quarantine you can trust is your own. Sad but true.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back