New Reefer from Rhode Island

BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow fish and coral enthusiasts, I am on the newer side of marine fishkeeping but looking to get more involved in the community as I have been more of a silent researcher and forum viewer. I have only been keeping saltwater tanks for just less than a year now, but I have a little over 10 years experience in freshwater through which I learned mostly by trial and error. I current have 2 twin nano tank setups.

The first tank I set up contains a variety of corals mostly hardy easy ones, mushrooms, riccordia, frogspawn, xenia, gsp, leathers, zoos and palys. Its stocked pretty lightly with I think 8 hermits 2 snails and a single blue damsel. I might eventually give in the damsel to my LFS and get a new pair of clowns.

My second tank is an anemone only tank which I set up after the first anemone I bought decided to move after remaining on the same rock for 4 months. The anemone tank currently has 3 different color morphs of BTAs. It also has a pair of clowns a picasso and black and white ocellaris as well as a pair of sexy shrimp and a scarlet hermit. I realize I need a larger CUC for this tank as the hair algae is getting a bit much, I broke a cardinal rule and bought hermits from Petco and only one survived I plan on ordering some off of liveaquaria soon.

26017.gif

26018.gif

26299.gif

OP
OP
BobbyBPG

BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested in the Aqua gear my tanks have identical setups.
IM Fusion 10g. AIO tank
Coral Box Moon LED
ViaAqua 50 Watt Quartz Heater
Smart ATO Micro ATO
I don't have a powerhead or wavemaker as it seems to have adequate flow without one I tried various ones and they seemed too powerful or bulky for a tank of this size I've thought about trying the MP10s but it seems a bit expensive.

For maintenance, I do weekly water changes, switch out polyfil and chemipure blue nano pack monthly.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested in the Aqua gear my tanks have identical setups.
IM Fusion 10g. AIO tank
Coral Box Moon LED
ViaAqua 50 Watt Quartz Heater
Smart ATO Micro ATO
I don't have a powerhead or wavemaker as it seems to have adequate flow without one I tried various ones and they seemed too powerful or bulky for a tank of this size I've thought about trying the MP10s but it seems a bit expensive.

For maintenance, I do weekly water changes, switch out polyfil and chemipure blue nano pack monthly.
A good adjustable wave maker is the Jabeo SW-4. They have them at OSA(Ocean State Aquatics) in Coventry RI. Talk to Scotty. Great guy and knows his stuff. Tell him 40B Knasty sent you. They have really good clean up crews and beautiful BTAs. That should be your main LFS for RI. I have been to them all in New England. It is my 2nd favorite and trusted LFS.

OP
OP
BobbyBPG

BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good adjustable wave maker is the Jabeo SW-4. They have them at OSA(Ocean State Aquatics) in Coventry RI. Talk to Scotty. Great guy and knows his stuff. Tell him 40B Knasty sent you. They have really good clean up crews and beautiful BTAs. That should be your main LFS for RI. I have been to them all in New England. It is my 2nd favorite and trusted LFS.

Love that place I try to go there as regularly as possible but it's a 30min ride totally worth it though had no clue that they did clean up crews there definitely will check that out. That's also where I got my BTAs they're the best over there.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that place I try to go there as regularly as possible but it's a 30min ride totally worth it though had no clue that they did clean up crews there definitely will check that out. That's also where I got my BTAs they're the best over there.
I know they just removed all their fish tanks and put them in another room. The cuc tanks I didn't see them when I was in there a few days ago, because they added about 10 more frag tanks. The cuc might be in the BTA tank in the middle. I would call about that.
I drive an hour and 20 to get there. My closest LFS are all 45-55 minutes away. 30m is well worth the less headaches.

OP
OP
BobbyBPG

BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they just removed all their fish tanks and put them in another room. The cuc tanks I didn't see them when I was in there a few days ago, because they added about 10 more frag tanks. The cuc might be in the BTA tank in the middle. I would call about that.
I drive an hour and 20 to get there. My closest LFS are all 45-55 minutes away. 30m is well worth the less headaches.

Yea I was just in there the other day the new fish room setup is nice. It's just that tiny state mentality if it's over 15mins away most Rhode Islanders think it's too far.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back