New Reefer Minneapolis

Pook316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I am a brand spanking new reefer who just set up a 20-gallon Innovative Marin AIO. Spent two weeks aquascaping. Just filled it with water yesterday and it is now clear. I think I'm ready to start truly cycling. I bought Dr. Tims to start and the sand is live as well.
Equipment I've used:
Tank
Included Mighty Jet with VCA random flow generators
Red Sea Reefer 50 light
Inkbird controller with 100watt Titanium and Eheim redundant heater.
I know I'll be turning off the light while cycling and will adjust intensity later.
I want to know if I seem to be missing anything before cycling and I have one dilemma:

I left the power cord to the Mighty Jet in the tank when filling and it stayed there overnight! Total rookie mistake, I know, but now I have a Reef Breeder Reef power RP-M powerhead I've had to cannibalize the power cord for and
don't know if I can find a similar power adapter. Tried drying out the wet one, but it's toast. Can I use a generic ac/dc adapter?

So excited to be reefing and any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Van

Tank.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Pook316

Pook316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

You're very luck with your location. Be sure to check out the local club TCMAS. You've also got 2 amazing fish stores in the area with New Wave being my favorite. I've also heard really good things about the Reef Collective.
I totally agree with you as I went to BOTH of those stores just a few weeks ago. New Wave just blew my mind. I can't spend a ton to get started but they seem to have a lot of animal life for affordable pricing.

OP
OP
Pook316

Pook316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all. I've read a lot about the filter socks that come with my tank and what a pain they are to clean and change. I'd like to get everyone's opinions of them. Bought four more but they weren't too expensive and if you think there is an easier alternative. I'd love to know. Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back