New Reefer Minneapolis

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding. It uses an optical sensor that is a little over a half inch long. I think i discovered I had it incorrectly placed. It was in the display tank but I had it too low so when the water level actually did drop it didn't respond correctly. I love that there was the smallest sheet of instructions that only show the main setup and not the indicators or where ideally to place them. I hope and believe I might have figured it out?
spsick (above) is correct. The water level will go down in the sump , not in the DT. So your sensor needs to be at the full level in the sump.

Hope that helps?

OP
OP
Pook316

Pook316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Also from Minneapolis here. You’ll want to get the sensor in the back chamber where evaporation takes place (usually the return pump area). Re: you question about pumps a Sicce AC pump is a great reliable choice and there’s no need for a DC pump unless the ac pump is too noisy for your liking.
Just wanted to thank you for your help. It totally worked and I've had no problems since

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

OP
OP
Pook316

Pook316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm just suck. I've had my reef tank up for 5 months now and am worried that for the life of me I cannot get my Zoa colony, which is about 1 month old to open up. I'm also struggling with my chemistry and need advice on rectifying it. It seems like almost all of my parameters are high especially (and embarrassingly) my nitrates.
Ph 8.3
KH 7.7
Salinity 1.026
PO4 0.11
NO3 34.6
I have within the last two weeks put the new Bubble Magus Nano skimmer in, but I think it's still breaking in and I'm trying to get it set just right. I've cut my feedings down to every other day and am changing my floss daily and my socks every 3 days. I have i bag of Chemi-pure Elite that's been in for about 6 weeks, so it should still be good. I dose with Microbacter7 and change 15-20% of the water weekly faithfully. I have some porous bio balls in my sump s well. It seems like almost all of my corals are thriving, but the Zoa colony will just not open. Help

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0584.jpeg
    IMG_0584.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 31

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas can be finicky especially when first introduced.
What is it you are struggling with chemistry? If you are doing water changes weekly, you should not have to add anything to that water. Especially on that volume of water. I do not know how much it is, but by the pictures less than 50g is my guess.
Make sure the flow is not hitting the zoas directly. They hate that. Make sure light is not too high, but should be okay if Xenia nearby are okay. I thought I saw one possible aiptasia in the zoas. They hate those too. Shrimp will also walk all over them and until they are comfortable, they will close up. Looks like may have some pink sponge nearby, but does not look invasive.
Consistent is better than going after a number with most parameters. Once it is stable for a good few months, then look at a number you may want to adjust.

Is this your 20g? Just looked back in text to find that.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you’re doing a lot chemically which I suspect is the issue, however your Xenia and toadstool are open which would typically be closed up for similar reasons to Zoas.

That skimmer should help bring down your nutrients a bit and get you in the right direction.

If it were me I would consider lightening up on the bacteria additions and chemipure and see where you’re at in a few weeks.

Less is more.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I am a brand spanking new reefer who just set up a 20-gallon Innovative Marin AIO. Spent two weeks aquascaping. Just filled it with water yesterday and it is now clear. I think I'm ready to start truly cycling. I bought Dr. Tims to start and the sand is live as well.
Equipment I've used:
Tank
Included Mighty Jet with VCA random flow generators
Red Sea Reefer 50 light
Inkbird controller with 100watt Titanium and Eheim redundant heater.
I know I'll be turning off the light while cycling and will adjust intensity later.
I want to know if I seem to be missing anything before cycling and I have one dilemma:

I left the power cord to the Mighty Jet in the tank when filling and it stayed there overnight! Total rookie mistake, I know, but now I have a Reef Breeder Reef power RP-M powerhead I've had to cannibalize the power cord for and
don't know if I can find a similar power adapter. Tried drying out the wet one, but it's toast. Can I use a generic ac/dc adapter?

So excited to be reefing and any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Van

Tank.jpeg

Welcome! Glad you joined.

CONGRATULATIONS on already having your Build Thread Badge - WAHOO!!!

This might help you find more people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back