welcome r2r.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby and forum!

Something generic should be fine for a little pump like that but you will likely want to swap out the stock pump for something a bit better/stronger anyways, especially with the RFG's.

Join TCMAS when you get a chance. It's the local reefing forum.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, electrical cord soaking in display overnight, presumably SW. Any concerns about the water? I'd probably run a poly filter because they are cheap and effective at a minimum. Some may perform a 100% water change, considering it's only 20G, out of an abundance of caution.

OP
OP
Pook316

Pook316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Van, welcome to Reef2Reef!
#reefsquad
Ok guys, complete newbie question here...My five day old tank is doing well. Used Dr. Tims to start the cycle. I most likely still will not add anything for a while longer as I want to get comfortable with the testing.
One issue, I have a JBJ ATO that seems to work fine, but at 4 this morning, I was awoken by an irregular sucking sound. Came out to find that the pump chamber in the sump was very low and the pump was blowing clouds of bubbles into the tank. I don't know if my ATO was not reading the proper level and the water was simply too low, but I pulled it out for a minute and it started adding water as expected. The issue went away after a minute, but I came home from work to the same issue today. The pump chamber was way low even though it didn't look like the overall tank level was low. Am I missing something here that is preventing the water from moving to the pump chamber? Or do I simply have my ATO set up improperly? When I looked at it this afternoon, it was still in the "green zone" where the level should've been fine.
I'm just so confused.

Thanks everyone

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the JBJ ATO measure the depth of the water? And where are you measuring it (in the display tank or in the sump)?

OP
OP
Pook316

Pook316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the JBJ ATO measure the depth of the water? And where are you measuring it (in the display tank or in the sump)?
Thanks for responding. It uses an optical sensor that is a little over a half inch long. I think i discovered I had it incorrectly placed. It was in the display tank but I had it too low so when the water level actually did drop it didn't respond correctly. I love that there was the smallest sheet of instructions that only show the main setup and not the indicators or where ideally to place them. I hope and believe I might have figured it out?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding. It uses an optical sensor that is a little over a half inch long. I think i discovered I had it incorrectly placed. It was in the display tank but I had it too low so when the water level actually did drop it didn't respond correctly. I love that there was the smallest sheet of instructions that only show the main setup and not the indicators or where ideally to place them. I hope and believe I might have figured it out?
Welcome! Also from Minneapolis here. You’ll want to get the sensor in the back chamber where evaporation takes place (usually the return pump area). Re: you question about pumps a Sicce AC pump is a great reliable choice and there’s no need for a DC pump unless the ac pump is too noisy for your liking.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back