Welcome to R2R!!

giphy (21).gif

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very solid and we'll considered to me.

Opinions will vary, but you're near ready for a few test frags. Just go easy. You'll fill your tank with beginner coral before it's ready for the more challenging specimens.

Ask around, but I LOVE Carbo calcium for alk/calc.

spockwelcome.jpg

Roshisatoshi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and thank you! I went back and forth on the fuge set up a lot. Overall, I am extremely happy with the Aquafuge 2 for the RSR170. It fits perfectly between the sump and the cabinet wall such that one would almost think it was made for this. Its also great that it effectively adds 2.5 gallons to your total water volume. My only caveats would be (1) the stock light is not that strong so I might suggest buying just the fuge and your own light and (2) as you can see in the picture, I rigged a rubber mat to the outflow to reduce the noise of the water falling into the sump (although I think Aquafuge also makes a bubble trap--this was just cheaper). I should also note that there is not a ton of flow in the fuge so my cheato does not tumble (maybe I can rig this). There is enough room for storage of certain supplies under the fuge too, and plenty of room on top for my electric panel. I am running two pumps in my return chamber because of the fuge, so keep that in mind as well.
Thanks for the Details, there’s a thread that died...about fitting that HOG fuge to the 170 and several reefers were curious to know if it fit! I’ll have to link this. I’m looking at the tunz macro algae light to power it. Thanks again for the input much appreciated

OP
OP
Reefer NYC

Reefer NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Opinions will vary, but you're near ready for a few test frags. Just go easy. You'll fill your tank with beginner coral before it's ready for the more challenging specimens.

spockwelcome.jpg
Thanks! Appreciate the advice. I think Alk is my biggest concern right now as I don't have as much experience with it.

OP
OP
Reefer NYC

Reefer NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I would definitely increase Alk. Check Magnesium and Calcium levels as well as all three are important to keeping coral. Looks like you are doing awesome so far.
Thank you! I am trying to learn everything I can about Alk, Cal and Mag. I think I am finally getting the hang of the RSR Alk test--it gets confusing how many drops to count. Do you have any recommendations for how to raise Alk?

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I am trying to learn everything I can about Alk, Cal and Mag. I think I am finally getting the hang of the RSR Alk test--it gets confusing how many drops to count. Do you have any recommendations for how to raise Alk?

There are many ways to do this, if you are just starting out I would probably recommend dosing something like Soda Ash. Two part dosing is very common and typically the easiest IMO.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Reefer NYC

Reefer NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

spockwelcome.jpg
Awesome! This makes me a bit more confident. I was going to start by just putting some green star polyp on that little rock in the middle. Maybe some zoas on the left front rock. I chose May 1 as my "wait until" date.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back