New Reefer

Drwsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I've been researching reef tanks since February and just scored this awesome deal on a tank and I'm in the process of getting it set up.

Are there any frag swaps around to help stocked it up once I get it cycled?

IMG_20200418_142602.jpg

wadesims2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I've been researching reef tanks since February and just scored this awesome deal on a tank and I'm in the process of getting it set up.

Are there any frag swaps around to help stocked it up once I get it cycled?

IMG_20200418_142602.jpg
I tend to have a 100 or so frags at any given time. Let me know

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CA3E5977-FA5C-4522-8E3A-A323B16B4B1F.gif

Welcome to the R2R family! Most places have them. Just depends on where you live. Can’t wait to see the new tank set up!

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some beginner, meaning free but plain zoa's you can have. Also always have a few mushrooms floating if interested. Some folks shy away from softies if they are doing SPS dominant tanks.

OP
OP
Drwsky

Drwsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! It's a 60 gallon Truvu acrylic tank.

I'm not sure about the zoas I was showing my wife some corals I was thinking about and she had a panic attack when she saw one.

She has this fear of holes and apparently that's a good trigger so I need to be careful with what i stock the reef with.

DudeBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the group.....I'm only 6 months into this journey and have a 210g with all sorts of frags. I might can hook you up with some stuff as well....

also, aquatic cove in Madison is a great local fish store....check them out...

OP
OP
Drwsky

Drwsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cleaning, polishing, and receiving many deliveries. I am ready to start plumbing, adding sand, rock, and water this weekend.

But somehow my Red Sea test kit got knocked off my Amazon order and do not want to wait until June for a new one to arrive.

Does anyone have a extra kit I could buy off them so I don't have to wait?

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

You don't need any test kit right away. You do need to check your salinity, but you do that with a refractometer or a digital checker like Hanna's salinity checker.

After setting up your tank, your tank will start to go through nitrogen cycling. You need the test kit during cycling. It should take a couple of weeks for ammonia to show up. That's when you really need the test kit. So, you have some time to get hold of one.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cleaning, polishing, and receiving many deliveries. I am ready to start plumbing, adding sand, rock, and water this weekend.

But somehow my Red Sea test kit got knocked off my Amazon order and do not want to wait until June for a new one to arrive.

Does anyone have a extra kit I could buy off them so I don't have to wait?
Main Street aquatics in Hartselle. He has test kits, salt , live stock, rock. Very reasonable prices. I actually think his salt is cheaper than amazon. Go check him out and help support a local shop.

OP
OP
Drwsky

Drwsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some beginner, meaning free but plain zoa's you can have. Also always have a few mushrooms floating if interested. Some folks shy away from softies if they are doing SPS dominant tanks.

I'm finally in the middle of my cycle. Is there anything I can add to help out the the process?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Belated welcome to Reef2Reef, and to the hobby!
I would recommend you try adding a piece of shrimp (like kroger seafood section stuff) while cycling, it'll feed the bacteria as it get's set up. A bacteria product I like is Aqua Vitro Seed, comes in 4 and 8 oz bottles for about $10-$12, depending on you're area.
Good luck and God bless.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add some sort of bacteria product and some table shrimp or fish food to push the cycling process, but I don't know if that will speed up the process.

Just be patient and monitor what is going on in your tank. Soon enough you will see some brown diatom showing up, indicating that the tank is cycled enough to add something tough, such as hermit crabs, to keep you entertained. When you see a hint of green algae, it's time to add a few snails, such as Astreae or Trochus. Small Trochus snails are my favorite. Be vigilant and don't let the green algae get upper hand. When you see the cleanup crew doing well, you can start adding livestock slowly. Don't add more than a few at a time. Your filtration capacity has to build up to match the increasing bio load. If you go too fast, you will see more algae. I'd avoid an algae outbreak at all cost.

OP
OP
Drwsky

Drwsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I started with red sea bacto start but didn't take into account I would need more than what ordered to complete the entire 21 day cycle. I didn't know if a peice of live rock, or GSP would help finish out the cycle. I really don't want to order another kit. Lol

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add a coral, even GSP, until you are sure that your tank has finished cycling. 21 day is just a guideline. Sometimes it cycle faster and sometimes slower. Do you have any live rock in your tank right now?

OP
OP
Drwsky

Drwsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any live rock at the moment.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get some, then. You can start with dry rocks, but adding some live rocks would really help establish the tank. Rocks are the main filtration material for reef tanks. Do you intend to have a reef tank with corals or fish only with live rocks?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back