New Reefer!

Pierce168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! My girlfriend and I have decided to get into the hobby and we are setting up the new tank for clownfish. We have done about a month of research and we just now set up the tank and RO/DI system. I have yet to mix the salt and water. I have plenty of questions but I think for now I would like to know your opinion on how to start the cycling process. I have heard about "ghost feeding" and since my ammonia wont be in for another month, I was thinking about just pouring in the nitrifying bacteria and ghost feeding some fish flakes/pellets but don't know how much or for how long. ANY advice for the cycling process or any tips for anything else is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you all, we look forward to getting our fish :)

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread on Dr. Tim's Cycle Process
Welcome to the Fishy Family!
This is a link to a thread from last October. There is a video explaining the DR. Tim's way, as well as some point / counterpoint by @Randy Holmes-Farley. Randy is our resident Antoine Lavoisier of reef chemistry. It's a good read and it will help you form some opinions of your own.
This fishy business has a lot of methods that folks will swear by based on anecdotal evidence. My advise, ask questions, take it all in and then go with your gut. I hope this helps!!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! My girlfriend and I have decided to get into the hobby and we are setting up the new tank for clownfish. We have done about a month of research and we just now set up the tank and RO/DI system. I have yet to mix the salt and water. I have plenty of questions but I think for now I would like to know your opinion on how to start the cycling process. I have heard about "ghost feeding" and since my ammonia wont be in for another month, I was thinking about just pouring in the nitrifying bacteria and ghost feeding some fish flakes/pellets but don't know how much or for how long. ANY advice for the cycling process or any tips for anything else is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you all, we look forward to getting our fish :)
Welcome pierce.
What's in the tank so far, live rock etc.
Do you plan on testing later?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome42.gif

OP
OP
Pierce168

Pierce168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome pierce.
What's in the tank so far, live rock etc.
Do you plan on testing later?
Thank you for the warm welcome, Piston dog. We had to work with a limited budget so we have some dead rock and sand, and some silly little fake plants for now until we can afford corals. My plan is to mix the salt and filtered water in a separate bucket for 24 hours with a water pump, test the salinity, get it just right and then pour it in. Once it's in, Im going to heat it to ~78° F and then add the bacteria. The question I still have is: how much do I need to ghost feed and how often I need to do it to start the ammonia cycling. As soon as the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels drop we want to put in a couple clowns.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the warm welcome, Piston dog. We had to work with a limited budget so we have some dead rock and sand, and some silly little fake plants for now until we can afford corals. My plan is to mix the salt and filtered water in a separate bucket for 24 hours with a water pump, test the salinity, get it just right and then pour it in. Once it's in, Im going to heat it to ~78° F and then add the bacteria. The question I still have is: how much do I need to ghost feed and how often I need to do it to start the ammonia cycling. As soon as the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels drop we want to put in a couple clowns.
Are there instructions on the bottle of bacteria?
How big is your tank?

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of useful instructional videos on YouTube. My preference for LIVE bacteria is Fritz TurboStart 900. I used it one day and added a couple of fish the next. Cycling with live bacteria in a bottle with fish is well proven and documented to not have adverse effects on the fish. Ample bacteria are in the tank to handle the bio-load.

OP
OP
Pierce168

Pierce168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your warm welcomes and informative advice! I got the salinity set to 1.023 and water temp to 78° and poured the bacteria and ammonia in the tank. Waiting for my test kit to come in on Wednesday and hopefully be able to put our first two clownfish in this weekend thank you all for the help!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back