Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, it’s great to be here.
We have a new mini reef 120 and only just added salt water, dry rock and media today. Do we need to run the skimmer for 10 days before we start the 30 day cycle kit?
Thanks a million
Welcome!

OP
OP
Orsifish

Orsifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard! I'm for running the skimmer as a "break in" period too. Ain't gonna hurt nothing!

thanks I think we will, no point rushing it (we were trying to get 2 fish in for next sat boys 2nd birthday) but after reading reply’s and further research it seems that rushing things isn’t the answer!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome14.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Regarding skimmer, had a similar question this morning. If you’re going to run the skimmer, run it with the cup off. Why?
This will allow for air and water to be mixed into a dense foam where these particles can make their way up through the skimmer body, over the skimmer neck, and finally end up exported in the skimmer’s collection cup. Without running your skimmer this way, particulate matter would further break down into nitrate and phosphate which will fuel algae growth and only cause you headaches in the long run. This is equally as important, if not more important when curing dry rock in a separate system or in the new tank itself. The amount of dried organic material on certain types of dry rock like Pukani for example results in some pretty nasty water during the cure – much more than your typical cycle with rock that has been pre-cured. This large amount of biomass will quickly break down into smaller particulate like I mentioned before where it will be highly beneficial to remove it before it has the chance to break down further. One thing to note however, is that the water will likely be so foul that your skimmer will tend to produce so much foam for the first few days that it may overflow the cup. You will want to make sure that you are actively monitoring the collection cup level to prevent any nasty spills or overflows. If it constantly overflows, turn down the air control a little.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to in my opinion on of the best hobbies in the world! This hobby is an opportunity to recreate a piece of the ocean in the comfort of your home! Reef2Reef is a great place to be to learn all about the hobby, and can find some valuable resources!

If you are looking for maybe something to watch on your free time and get a better for feel for reef keeping come check out my channel on YouTube! Could be some helpful tips! Hope to chat soon, cheers!

IMG_1502.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back