New skimmer

Big Tank 95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my new skimmer delivered yesterday. Maxspect Jump SK800 do you guys think this was a good choice. Still learning All comments and any experience truly appreciated

20230930_193755.jpg

OP
OP
B

Big Tank 95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on why you bought it. How big is your system and what are you trying to keep?
I have a 180 gal tank starting out with fish only but soon will start adding corals. New to this saltwater stuff all info welcome & helpful. No water yet just trying to get the things I might need in the future.

Attachments

• 20230916_193759.jpg
    20230916_193759.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 32

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gal tank starting out with fish only but soon will start adding corals. New to this saltwater stuff all info welcome & helpful. No water yet just trying to get the things I might need in the future.
I saw your other post, I would recommend getting the carpet out. You will get it wet, and it will get nasty quickly. As for the skimmer, I too believe in over skimming. But don't do at first. You don't want your tank too clean or you will most likely have to deal with it. Run it at 10% max at first. Also, since you will be cycling soon, at some beneficial bacteria.

OP
OP
B

Big Tank 95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw your other post, I would recommend getting the carpet out. You will get it wet, and it will get nasty quickly. As for the skimmer, I too believe in over skimming. But don't do at first. You don't want your tank too clean or you will most likely have to deal with it. Run it at 10% max at first. Also, since you will be cycling soon, at some beneficial bacteria.
Ok makes sense. I'm one people that like to have things on hand when needed, dont like to wait for thing in the mail so Iknow I'll need them at some point.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have basically the same skimmer. Love it. You can tune this thing easily for any level of skmmate you want, from high nutrient input to almost nothing. It's a little more work to disassemble and reassemble, when it's time to do a deep cleaning, but worth the effort in my opinion.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use 2 heaters rated at at least 300 wats with a controller. I use the Inkbird wifi controller. With 2 heaters, if you have a malfunction in the on or off condition with either heater, you won't have as drastic a change in temperature immediately, and the controller will give you an audible alarm and electronic alert if the temp gets outside of range.

OP
OP
B

Big Tank 95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use 2 heaters rated at at least 300 wats with a controller. I use the Inkbird wifi controller. With 2 heaters, if you have a malfunction in the on or off condition with either heater, you won't have as drastic a change in temperature immediately, and the controller will give you an audible alarm and electronic alert if the temp gets outside of range.
I just ordered the inkbird control yesterday

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kinda cool. You can chart temp changes over time with the app to see highs and lows. I generally don't see a shift of more than a degree or two.

OP
OP
B

Big Tank 95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kinda cool. You can chart temp changes over time with the app to see highs and lows. I generally don't see a shift of more than a degree or two.
What brand heaters do you use with the inkbird controller. I would like something that last, with so much crap on the market. dont know what to buy.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cancel the inkbird and get an apex. Don't waste money on the Trident. Get a calcium reactor if you get to that point, but kalk will be fine for maintaining corals. If your budget is tight, wait for a classic to appear in the sale section. I've had the same $40 heater for 10 years. In its defense, it doesn't cycle much.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS titanium heaters. They've gotten a little flack over the years, but they've never failed me yet.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a nice setup. I think it should work well for you.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what size heater I should use from my 180 gal Thanks in advance
I like Inkbird controllers. I have them on all my tanks, and I have no issues with them after I figured out how to program them. I like that they are connected to my network, and I can manage them remotely. I also use a controller such as Hydros and Apex to monitor tank temperature and shut off the power port for the Inkbird if a specific temperature is reached. I run Apex on one tank and Hydros on the rest. This is my backup safety for temp.

I use the BRS Titanium elements on the Inkbirds. I have not had an issue with them.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand heaters do you use with the inkbird controller. I would like something that last, with so much crap on the market. dont know what to buy.
We use eheim jaegers with our inkbird. If the inkbird fails on, the jaegers will shut off a little above setpoint. The whole system can be monitored by apex if desired.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked at the specs on the Maxspect Jump SK800 and I am a little confused. How in the heck can a skimmer that puts out at a maximum 1800LPH/475GPH of water and only 800LPH/211GPH air and be rated for a 475gal tank at medium bioload, and the skimmer I have ( Reef Octopus Elite 220-INT Super Cone ) puts out at a maximum 2000LPH/528GPH of water and 2400LPH/634GPH of air at medium bioload be rated for 250gal tank? That is a huge difference especially when the Maxspect only puts out 800LPH of air. We are talking 3x less air capability. Am I not understanding something? I also noticed the the Maxspect Jump SK800 is being discontinued for some reason according to the CoralVue web page.

OP
OP
B

Big Tank 95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a nice setup. I think it should work well for you.
Just looked at the specs on the Maxspect Jump SK800 and I am a little confused. How in the heck can a skimmer that puts out at a maximum 1800LPH/475GPH of water and only 800LPH/211GPH air and be rated for a 475gal tank at medium bioload, and the skimmer I have ( Reef Octopus Elite 220-INT Super Cone ) puts out at a maximum 2000LPH/528GPH of water and 2400LPH/634GPH of air at medium bioload be rated for 250gal tank? That is a huge difference especially when the Maxspect only puts out 800LPH of air. We are talking 3x less air capability. Am I not understanding something? I also noticed the the Maxspect Jump SK800 is being discontinued for some reason according to the CoralVue web page.
Interesting, good point well I did not pay much for it so well see how it works out. I'm new to all this saltwater stuff guess it part of the learning curve if it works it works if not will upgrade to something more efficient and save this for a smaller tank in the future. Thanks for the input:cool:

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back