New tank. And uv schedule

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. My tank is 3months old and i have my 57w uv. Running on 520gph 200g. When do i run my uv? What schedule? Only at night? Or on all the time? Some people are saying since its new tank i will kill the good bacteria. And i should only run it at night. Is that true?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very bad idea.
This will make maturity of your system 3 times longer.
But go ahead if that’s what you need to do.
I mean i didnt know that. Thats why im asking about the schedule been runnint for 2 weeks 24/7 but i didnt. Realize how bad it can be for new systems

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree it’s early. Once necessary then the typical answer is 24x7.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
typically the bacteria you need will not pass thru the uv and be harmed (it stays on the rock surface)

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a hard lesson in this hobby (me projecting) is learning to apply things when needed- I dive deep and want to try it all- that could come back to burn you in reefing

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a hard lesson in this hobby (me projecting) is learning to apply things when needed- I dive deep and want to try it all- that could come back to burn you in reefing
Thats true. I wasnt sure because i did my research. And u know there was a lot of back and forth between yes turn it on 24/7 or turn it on at night only. So i wasnt sure tbh. But now ima keep it off

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats true. I wasnt sure because i did my research. And u know there was a lot of back and forth between yes turn it on 24/7 or turn it on at night only. So i wasnt sure tbh. But now ima keep it off
Yeah I’ve seen the same back & forth. Uv treats the water sterilizng anything that passes thru so it can’t reproduce. If you’re only running it part of the time (let’s say 1/2 a day) then you are aren’t addressing the full problem. At minimum it would take 2x as long but imho you’d never solve the problem- for dinos I could see only running it in evening when they release into the water column but even then I’d go 24/7

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve seen the same back & forth. Uv treats the water sterilizng anything that passes thru so it can’t reproduce. If you’re only running it part of the time (let’s say 1/2 a day) then you are aren’t addressing the full problem. At minimum it would take 2x as long but imho you’d never solve the problem- for dinos I could see only running it in evening when they release into the water column but even then I’d go 24/7
I cant lie in those 2 weeks i had it on 24/7 that my water quality didnt improve. Crystal clear. But now ima keep it off till the time comes and my tank more mature

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah thats uncle he helped me in the past he sounds agressive but hes not. Haha
Poorly worded by me. My fault. Sorry.

I just never understood why many use a device that lessens algaes when that’s what I’m trying to build, in both numbers and types, unless the use was specific, like Dino’s or parasite control, then sure. However once corrected, off it goes.

Many put UV in their systems for algae control, but UV is only effective on stuff passing through the light, substrate algaes remain unaffected.

It’s the algaes and bacteria an their diversity I want to outnumber and outcompete the pest type stuff. A sterilizer works indiscriminately on good and bad.

So I just can’t see the real benefit for full time UV in a reef setting.

If your treating Dino’s, night UV is the most effective as many move into the water from the substrate where they can be sterilized. Once lights on, they go back on the rocks and sand so UV, not very effective at this time.

UV is a numbers game, constantly keeping populations on the low side until goods guys outcompete.

Last edited:

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very bad idea.
This will make maturity of your system 3 times longer.
But go ahead if that’s what you need to do.
UV kills all bacteria good and bad. why throw out the good that can be used to feed your corals. Now if a problem pops up then def run it. IMO.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back