New tank cycling question. Nitrate levels.

ScoobyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I just started into the reef hobby, I have a NUVO 40 and started cycling ~2 1/2 weeks ago.

I started my cycling with live sand (CaribSea, Arag-alive reef sand), dry rock (Atlantic Coral Rock), a deli shrimp, and Dr. Tim's One and Only.

I've been monitoring my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, watching the ammonia and nitrite climb. followed by nitrate starting to climb.

Nitrates are now up to deep orange (80ppm) while the ammonia is dipping down to 1.0ppm (was holding at 2.0ppm for a week). Nitrites steadily climbing to 2.0ppm.

I left that shrimp in till it has completely disintegrated. I was monitoring the ammonia and if it went above 2.0ppm I was gonna pull it out. never got that high.

Sorry, getting a little long here.

Should I worry about the nitrate levels and water change now, or wait till the ammonia and nitrite levels completely drop. I plan to water change either way before introducing fish and CUC to stabilize the water.

It's a completely new tank, there's nothing in there except sand and rock. (no livestock yet)

I'm guessing I let it ride as a water change will remove the ammonia and nitrites I need to keep the bacteria growing. Wanted to just get some input if I'm on the right track.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Jason

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I worry about the nitrate levels and water change now, or wait till the ammonia and nitrite levels completely drop. I plan to water change either way before introducing fish and CUC to stabilize the water.

You are going down the right road. No water change needed yet.A water change now will remove much needed stuff.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I just started into the reef hobby, I have a NUVO 40 and started cycling ~2 1/2 weeks ago.

I started my cycling with live sand (CaribSea, Arag-alive reef sand), dry rock (Atlantic Coral Rock), a deli shrimp, and Dr. Tim's One and Only.

I've been monitoring my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, watching the ammonia and nitrite climb. followed by nitrate starting to climb.

Nitrates are now up to deep orange (80ppm) while the ammonia is dipping down to 1.0ppm (was holding at 2.0ppm for a week). Nitrites steadily climbing to 2.0ppm.

I left that shrimp in till it has completely disintegrated. I was monitoring the ammonia and if it went above 2.0ppm I was gonna pull it out. never got that high.

Sorry, getting a little long here.

It's a completely new tank, there's nothing in there except sand and rock. (no livestock yet)

I'm guessing I let it ride as a water change will remove the ammonia and nitrites I need to keep the bacteria growing. Wanted to just get some input if I'm on the right track.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Jason
Just hang in there . Getting close. Just wait until your ammonia and nitrites are at 0 after 24 hrs. I was the same way when I first used Dr. Tim’s . It will take a while for the nitrite to be at 0 but just hold the course. Once you get there just do a large water change to reduce nitrate and your good to go.
Good luck!

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that it's not worth testing Nitrite until Ammonia is 0, same for Nitrate until Nitrite is 0. Otherwise you're getting false readings since there are still other forms of nitrogen in the sample.

OP
OP
ScoobyJ

ScoobyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that it's not worth testing Nitrite until Ammonia is 0, same for Nitrate until Nitrite is 0. Otherwise you're getting false readings since there are still other forms of nitrogen in the sample.
I agree the nitrate is not that high. 2 ppm nitrite will read as 200 ppm nitrate with some kits.

Thanks, I appreciate it. As a new hobbyist, I get these test kits and think I have to check every two hours (exaggerating...kinda) and overthink. But it's just a matter of waiting.

I can't tell you how many times I've scrubbed the glass... :)

thanks again!

Bills beginning

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with API test kits. Good enough for cycling the tank. I use 2 shrimp in brute can and graphed the numbers to watch the progress. Looks like you doing well with what you are doing
15691707395461340220743225541955.jpg
15691707395461340220743225541955.jpg

OP
OP
ScoobyJ

ScoobyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's such a great visual. +1111

So while not all tanks are alike, I'm roughly around your day 16 - 18.

The end is near...

You guys are all great!

Bills beginning

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite should drop like a rock like ammonia. Then cycle completes and water change to follow. The chart helps with tracking and watching how each process progresses. Yes. Mine is taking a while too.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 39 27.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 29 20.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 33 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back