762pmcs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0108201939_HDR[1].jpg

Hello All,

After a 20 year hiatus from the hobby I caught the bug again and had to setup another tank. My previous tank was only a 29g, my new one is a 90g, so I also want to delve into corals this time, but first I need to talk fish.

I have had the tank up for 5 weeks now, and have some hermits, various snails, skunk shrimp and bangai cardinalfish as of now. I am looking to add another fish this weekend as all tests are looking good so far.

I am thinking of adding the following fish, and am looking for input as to whether this will be too much. I would also be interested in any thoughts on the order for adding them to the tank.

Flasher Wrasse (M) x 1
Flasher Wrasse (F) x 2
Clownfish Pair
Tang (Koli, Tomini, Squaretail, or 2 Spot)
Angelfish (CB, Woodhead, Lemonpeel)
Mandarin Dragonet
Firefish
Royal Gramma

I do plan on getting some corals along the way and realize the Angelfish are possible coral nippers, so I'm not 100% on getting one yet. Also, I do not plan on adding the Mandarin until my copepods are abundant.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank and Mandarin would not work, unless you can find one which has been trained to eat other foods than PODS which a new tank does not have enough of....hold on this fish until 1 year has passed.
This one has never been fed in more than 3 years now...
8D79895F-C215-41D0-AA72-5212199EC93D.jpeg

OP
OP
762pmcs

762pmcs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank and Mandarin would not work, unless you can find one which has been trained to eat other foods than PODS which a new tank does not have enough of....hold on this fish until 1 year has passed.
This one has never been fed in more than 3 years now...
8D79895F-C215-41D0-AA72-5212199EC93D.jpeg
Already planned on waiting to add that one. Just added my first batch of pods yesterday, so, it will be a while.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. Mine is the exclusive POD eater. I have never been able to keep more than one POD eater in my tank in 30 years. Enjoy

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a look at this article to
Learn more about keeping multiple wrasses

The tldr is it is probably a good idea to get different species rather than try for a harem of the same species because in captivity all the wrasses will most likely become male and not tolerate each other.

All Dwarf angels can be hit or miss with coral, I have read that the lemon peel is one of the most likely to nip. Coral beauty is a safer choice, as are cherub angel, flame, potters, some say eibili too.

I would add the firefish first, the tang last and the dwarf angel right before the tang. I would stick with occelaris clowns as they are the least aggressive and get them small.

Finally if it were me I’d get a shrimp goby pair if you plan on having sand, and I’d replace the mandarin with some small active wrasses like the yellow coris or Melanarus or leopard if you feel up to the challenge but that’s just my preference for a more active fish

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0108201939_HDR[1].jpg

Hello All,

After a 20 year hiatus from the hobby I caught the bug again and had to setup another tank. My previous tank was only a 29g, my new one is a 90g, so I also want to delve into corals this time, but first I need to talk fish.

I have had the tank up for 5 weeks now, and have some hermits, various snails, skunk shrimp and bangai cardinalfish as of now. I am looking to add another fish this weekend as all tests are looking good so far.

I am thinking of adding the following fish, and am looking for input as to whether this will be too much. I would also be interested in any thoughts on the order for adding them to the tank.

Flasher Wrasse (M) x 1
Flasher Wrasse (F) x 2
Clownfish Pair
Tang (Koli, Tomini, Squaretail, or 2 Spot)
Angelfish (CB, Woodhead, Lemonpeel)
Mandarin Dragonet
Firefish
Royal Gramma

I do plan on getting some corals along the way and realize the Angelfish are possible coral nippers, so I'm not 100% on getting one yet. Also, I do not plan on adding the Mandarin until my copepods are abundant.
I'd add the kole tang last mine is very aggressive will attack my diamond goby and black blenny until the diamond goby out grew him now he don't back down

OP
OP
762pmcs

762pmcs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a look at this article to
Learn more about keeping multiple wrasses

The tldr is it is probably a good idea to get different species rather than try for a harem of the same species because in captivity all the wrasses will most likely become male and not tolerate each other.

All Dwarf angels can be hit or miss with coral, I have read that the lemon peel is one of the most likely to nip. Coral beauty is a safer choice, as are cherub angel, flame, potters, some say eibili too.

I would add the firefish first, the tang last and the dwarf angel right before the tang. I would stick with occelaris clowns as they are the least aggressive and get them small.

Finally if it were me I’d get a shrimp goby pair if you plan on having sand, and I’d replace the mandarin with some small active wrasses like the yellow coris or Melanarus or leopard if you feel up to the challenge but that’s just my preference for a more active fish
Thanks for the read. That definitely answered some questions I've been searching for answers on. Specifically on the hermaphroditism. My reasoning behind the harem was due to reading males tend to display for females. But based on the read I will probably just go with 2 flasher male species. Seems it will result in the same behavior I want. Thanks

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back