New Tank Particulates

frannypanny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being out of the hobby for a few years we decided to fire the old tank up. It sat empty inside the house for about 3 years. The rocks were dried and packed away in the garage. After giving all of the equipment a good cleaning we put water in 2 days ago. Today we have round white particulates floating on the top of the water (see photo). In the sump there are white clumps.

All the details I have...
150g display (currently running 3 wave makers and return pump)
40g sump (has skimmer sitting in it but not currently running and heater)
Prime added to RODI water in tank
Salinity was 1.021 yesterday today is 1.019
No other parameters tested at this point

An idea what's happening here?
1000006626.jpg

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I have no idea on the particulates. I've never seen anything quite like that before. My best guess would be residual from whatever you used to clean the equipment/rock originally. You would be surprised at how hard it is to get everything off of rock even with what would seem to be a good rinsing. Did it start to form before you added the salt? If not how old was the salt? Hopefully someone else can chime in with a better idea.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being out of the hobby for a few years we decided to fire the old tank up. It sat empty inside the house for about 3 years. The rocks were dried and packed away in the garage. After giving all of the equipment a good cleaning we put water in 2 days ago. Today we have round white particulates floating on the top of the water (see photo). In the sump there are white clumps.

1000006626.jpg
Are hoses old ones?

OP
OP
frannypanny

frannypanny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I have no idea on the particulates. I've never seen anything quite like that before. My best guess would be residual from whatever you used to clean the equipment/rock originally. You would be surprised at how hard it is to get everything off of rock even with what would seem to be a good rinsing. Did it start to form before you added the salt? If not how old was the salt? Hopefully someone else can chime in with a better idea.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
Thank you for the welcome!

The rocks were pressure washed with plain water and left in the sun to dry prior to putting them in the tank.

We built a mixing station so the water was mixed with salt prior to going in the tank. The water was in the tank for 2 days before the particulates showed up.

The salt was purchased at Petco the day before adding to the mixing station.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the same hoses we used when we originally purchased the equipment new the first time we set the tank up
My first guess is that particulates are insoluble calcium salts or dried bacteria films that a coming off the surfaces of pipes and pump.

Is there aragonite sand in the aquarium? If so, that can also be source of particles. Sand grains with the slightest bit of an air bubble will suspend them.

Can you capture the particles in a clear container and post a photo of them?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings and welcome to the reef! My guess is that, despite pressure washing, it stuff being released from / by the rock as well as the older equipment.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1000006626.jpg
Welcome!

OP
OP
frannypanny

frannypanny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first guess is that particulates are insoluble calcium salts or dried bacteria films that a coming off the surfaces of pipes and pump.

Is there aragonite sand in the aquarium? If so, that can also be source of particles. Sand grains with the slightest bit of an air bubble will suspend them.

Can you capture the particles in a clear container and post a photo of them?
20 lb. Fiji Pink Arag-Alive! Reef Sand - CaribSea

This is the sand we bought from BRS.

I'll work on the photos

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back