New tank question

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank and I’m wondering when I should start doing water changes.I only got 1 fish in there so far.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the common answer would be do a 1/3 water change once a month, but if you have a light bio load like you do as long as your dosing and replenishing all your trace elements and what not you can go a little longer, if you’re running a algae scrubber, you really don’t have to do any water changes as long as you continue to dose your elements

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the tank? What are the water parameters?
Water changes are changes are performed to remove waste, so what is the nitrate level of your water? Normally 10-20 is a safe zone, once you get to 30-40, you should be planning the next water change.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are changes are performed to remove waste, so what is the nitrate level of your water? Normally 10-20 is a safe zone, once you get to 30-40, you should be planning the next water change.
Not necessarily, nitrates and phosphates are not a bad thing. A lot of people are running their nitrates around 40 these days.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks been running a month and finished it cycled. Just wondering when to do first water change. Nitrates are at 10 which is where I keep them in my other tank.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank and I’m wondering when I should start doing water changes.I only got 1 fish in there so far.
I do water changes if I have elevated ammonia and or nitrites and it works for my tank

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back