New Tank - RedSea vs Waterbox

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at getting a larger (to me) tank. What are peoples thoughts on 50-60 gal systems such as the Red Sea Reefer 250, the Waterbox Marine X 60.2, etc? As well as a thoughts between the two companies (quality, customer service, and such).

I am planning on making a purchase this weekend and am interested as both companies appear very similar in all the above categories. Previous posts don't seem to provide much info on Waterbox life as they are a bit newer it seems..

Thanks in advance for the input/opinions/advice

download (1).jpg

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically see people favoring red sea recently for customer service reasons. The new G2 system can easily accept the new roller mat, which would push me that direction if I were looking at these two. It does seem like redsea has responded to feedback well over the years with armored seems and other features.

Cade could also be a consideration for you if you are wanting everything in one package (tank, sump, plumbing.) People really seem to like them. If you want more customizability, innovative marine is worth a look as you would bring your own sump. Cade and IM have aluminum stands, which is nice.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea. although if you want 2 IMs I'll give you a sweet deal so I can go get another red sea to go with my 625.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had both manufacturers, but I will say I see a lot of threads about lack of customer support from Waterbox. With their price tag (which is crazy to me) some kind of support better be available. Otherwise what are you actually paying for?? Just my opinion.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had both manufacturers, but I will say I see a lot of threads about lack of customer support from Waterbox. With their price tag (which is crazy to me) some kind of support better be available. Otherwise what are you actually paying for?? Just my opinion.
Actually if it were not for the fact that the OP wants to buy this weekend, I'd suggest skipping out on both of these brands and just go for a custom tank from glass cages.

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where does JBJ or Fiji Cube fit in this brand spectrum? I’m trying to decide as well but in the 30-50 gallon range. JBJ offers a nice AIO package (price point), where Red Sea and Fiji offer external sump setups at a somewhat higher price point. Not trying to hijack the thread but seemed like a relevant conversation vs starting a new thread... :)

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where does JBJ or Fiji Cube fit in this brand spectrum? I’m trying to decide as well but in the 30-50 gallon range. JBJ offers a nice AIO package (price point), where Red Sea and Fiji offer external sump setups at a somewhat higher price point. Not trying to hijack the thread but seemed like a relevant conversation vs starting a new thread... :)
Both are also great options, it all depends on what you want and suits you best.
In my case Red Sea was the best option.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a reefer 250 that I haven’t finished setting up yet, but I looked deep into the JBJ aio 60 gallon. After reading several posts about the seams leaking I opted to pass. Fiji cubes seem to priced right in the middle of the pack. Guess it depends on budget, really. I got a great deal on my rsr250, but I have spent more than I’d like to calculate in order to customize the hardware and plumbing.

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a reefer 250 that I haven’t finished setting up yet, but I looked deep into the JBJ aio 60 gallon. After reading several posts about the seams leaking I opted to pass. Fiji cubes seem to priced right in the middle of the pack. Guess it depends on budget, really. I got a great deal on my rsr250, but I have spent more than I’d like to calculate in order to customize the hardware and plumbing.
Seams leaking is my biggest concern. Looking for a relatively low/easy to maintain tank that the family can enjoy. I don’t have time or budget to go nuts. Seen threads with RSR 170s seams also leaking But I guess G2 is the new and improved. Rather spend a little more now than deal with problems later.

MD51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me outgoing is a RSM E-260. WB Infinia 125.3 should arrive within the next 8-10 weeks. I cover the entire state of FL for work so I always pop into different LFS’s around the state = get to look at a lot of different tanks. WB’s are clean - what sold me on the WB Infinia was the Al Stand and Panels & for me personally their customer service has been top notch. Lot of the RS’s I’ve seen lately have had sloppy seam / silicone work. Love the Planet Tanks too but have seen more of my fair share of bad silicone work on them as well. All great tanks - do your due diligence - all comes down to personal preference.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seams leaking is my biggest concern. Looking for a relatively low/easy to maintain tank that the family can enjoy. I don’t have time or budget to go nuts. Seen threads with RSR 170s seams also leaking But I guess G2 is the new and improved. Rather spend a little more now than deal with problems later.
I Did not hear anyone complaining about a red sea v3 with leaking seams.
As a result I believe we won’t be seeing that issue in the G2.

gkleung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at getting a larger (to me) tank. What are peoples thoughts on 50-60 gal systems such as the Red Sea Reefer 250, the Waterbox Marine X 60.2, etc? As well as a thoughts between the two companies (quality, customer service, and such).

I am planning on making a purchase this weekend and am interested as both companies appear very similar in all the above categories. Previous posts don't seem to provide much info on Waterbox life as they are a bit newer it seems..

Thanks in advance for the input/opinions/advice

download (1).jpg
Dear ScubaFish,

No experience with Cade or RedSea but we recently purchased a Waterbox Marine X60.2. The system is up and running now but there were a few issues related to quality and the company not checking there product checklists upon delivery

1) the plumbing hardware was very different that specificied in the instructions with different fittings: we finally assembled the plumbing when the plumbing was different that what was specfied in the instructions and on-line videos

2) after the tank was plumbed, there was a lot of noise once the recirculation pump was running: this was caused by a gap in the vertical seam of the glass between the overflow in back. Since the tank was filled with saltwater, and pressurized from the main tank into the overflow, I used some of the epoxy paste from BRS to fill the seam. Kinda ugly but it works

3) I purchased the tank during the annual sale. It took about 4 months to arrive. I understand the supply china/shipping issues but no updates from Waterbox during the waiting period. If you want the tank relatively soon from Waterbox, best to purchase one that is in stock. The website estimated a 6 week arrival time... but it took 16 weeks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back