New Tank Selection

  • Thread starter Thread starter Formulator
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Formulator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2024
Messages
2,706
Reaction score
2,759
Location
Saint Louis, MO, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I used the wrong keywords, but I was stunned at the lack of threads on here related to tank selection… You all have plenty to say about all the accessories - but what about the tank?

I’m in the market for a new frag tank and looking to maximize the footprint in a 24x40” area. I will primarily be propagating torches and euphyllia so needs some headspace. It will be visible in the finished area of my basement so I want it to look nice and not be only utilitarian. It will be sitting on the bar countertop that I prefer not to drill, so needs a side drain/ext design. I will plumb through the wall to the left of the tank - the other side of that wall being my sump/utility room.

Here is a photo of where I will put the tank. Its a remodel in progress - cabinets will be painted white and I need to trim in the counter edge because I can’t cut straight apparently…

IMG_7513.jpeg
 
Here’s a recent thread that discusses different aquarium manufacturers, to get you started!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/can’t-decide-which-tank-to-pick.1118721/
On another technical note; It looks like you have space for up to ~1,400lbs of water/tank in that space… this should be considered in the tank sizing; what can the counter actually handle weight-wise!
Thanks! Great point regarding weight. It will certainly not hold as-is, but I do intend to build in additional bracing under the tank.
 
Thanks! Great point regarding weight. It will certainly not hold as-is, but I do intend to build in additional bracing under the tank.
There are many good stand design threads too; @RocketEngineer has contributed on many of them, and may be able to chime in here on the finer points of your specific application! (Stone slab countertop, unknown cabinetry framing, etc…)

Good luck on your research! — There are plenty of good options out there, it’s all a matter of what suits your needs!
 
There are many good stand design threads too; @RocketEngineer has contributed on many of them, and may be able to chime in here on the finer points of your specific application! (Stone slab countertop, unknown cabinetry framing, etc…)

Good luck on your research! — There are plenty of good options out there, it’s all a matter of what suits your needs!
Thanks! I will probably keep the stand simple. I’ve done a few… 😉

IMG_6334.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new