New tank setup-overflow/sump volume question

Neckbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It been a while since I posted here. After learning a whole bunch with my first setup, running it for over a year and selling it off, I’m restarting the hobby.

This time around I have a 55 gal display to work with. I want to build a back-drilled Herbie overflow system. I have a 1200GPH overflow box and a Sicce Silent 4.0 (900ish GPH at 0 head pressure. My question comes down to sump capacity.

For the Herbie to work the primary drain needs to be at least 4” from the water surface. This mean when I lose power, 10 gallons on water will drain to the sump, correct? (4”x12”x48”). Im confident a 29gal tank can handle it but for some reason I can’t find one. Not even new. I might go 20 gallon long, but with varying levels of water in the various sump chambers how can I determine the left over volume? If I put 9 gal of water in there that leaves some room for displacement and then barely enough room for the 10 gallon dump. Is there any faulty logic here?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow box in the front has a weir?
The DT will only drain down to the bottom of the weir, The overflow boxes will drain down and how much comes back from the returns depends on siphon breaks and configuration

No, the tank should not drain down to the level of the full siphon drain.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this planning stage ...

What skimmer are you planning on using ?
The operating depth will also contribute to the size required .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 230 gal ( 72x27x27 )
My sump is 42”x16”x16”)
The sump is running around 1/2 full , when the power is off only about 3/4” water from the dt drains into the sump ( the sump is about 1” from the top ) mark the sump with a marker or tape as the max fill or operating level to assure if the power goes out it will not overflow

OP
OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow box in the front has a weir?
The DT will only drain down to the bottom of the weir, The overflow boxes will drain down and how much comes back from the returns depends on siphon breaks and configuration

No, the tank should not drain down to the level of the full siphon drain.
It’s an internal overflow box with weir. Duh, I knew I was forgetting something! Of course all the DT water won’t drain 10gal; it won’t flow over the weir once it drops below it. Thanks!

In this planning stage ...

What skimmer are you planning on using ?
The operating depth will also contribute to the size required .

Aquamaxx FC80. It has a recommended water level of 7.8”

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an internal overflow box with weir. Duh, I knew I was forgetting something! Of course all the DT water won’t drain 10gal; it won’t flow over the weir once it drops below it. Thanks!

Aquamaxx FC80. It has a recommended water level of 7.8”
That being said you need that water depth of water volume plus what ever is above the weir

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back