New Tank - Single Overflow - Future Problems?

Eric Woodliff

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2020
Messages
7
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting a 125 gallon at a really great, hard to pass up price. I’m still fairly new to reef tanks but I understand having a single overflow with no redundancy may not be a great idea. The new tank only has a single overflow, as pictured. Is there a way to convert this to a double with emergency or should I be ok with a single?

DB95AC73-F1E5-4FEF-ADCA-5729E77EB502.jpeg
 
Well it's not optimum that's for sure but if you design your sump right with total volume available to prevent overflow on power loss and a small enough return pump section to not overflow tank on drain line clog it can be safe. I would be happy and sleep well with that if I made sure and tested my sump on loss of power and if I shut the drain and tank didn't overflow. I would also make sure the return pump I used has low water level protection.

If you want a backup drain/overflow there are other options involving drilling or perhaps removing the current and going to HOB.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new