New Tank with wrong holes in overflow! Help

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I posted this on my build thread but I ordered a tank and the overflow holes are way to big. The three in the overflow are much larger than the 1" bulkheads I need to install. Do you guys think I could replace the bottom of the overflow with a new sheet of arcylic and drill the correct hole sizes without causing leakage? Do you guys think glue and silcone could seal that for long term?

Thanks for the help and input.

F-up.jpg

OP
OP
Greg Depo

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t it be easier to get larger bulkheads that would fit and use reducing PVC adapters as needed?
I thought of that but I'd have to purchase all new bulkheads and then different plumbing which I already have then after all of that it would be a 2" to 1" reduction which seems like alot.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of that but I'd have to purchase all new bulkheads and then different plumbing which I already have then after all of that it would be a 2" to 1" reduction which seems like alot.
A few bulkheads with reducing bushings would be less than $40 I’m guessing. You can still use your 1” plumbing. No issues with going from 2” to 1”.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have 2" pvc bean animal overflow then? Seems like a huge drain hole considering I only have 1" returns.
No issues with 2” overflow plumbing (inside the overflow box. You can oversized the plumbing that goes to the sump depending on flow). If it’ll fit, do it. Otherwise you can reduce that side too.

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big are the holes? a one inch bulkhead fits in a 1 3/4 inch hole. If the hole is 2 inches it would be a 1 1/4 bulkhead.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t it be easier to get larger bulkheads that would fit and use reducing PVC adapters as needed?
+1
No issues with 2” overflow plumbing (inside the overflow box. You can oversized the plumbing that goes to the sump depending on flow). If it’ll fit, do it. Otherwise you can reduce that side too.
+1

OP
OP
Greg Depo

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big are the holes? a one inch bulkhead fits in a 1 3/4 inch hole. If the hole is 2 inches it would be a 1 1/4 bulkhead.
Holes are 2.5” wide. So what, like 1.25” bulkhead? Not too bad I guess. Didn’t think of the diameter of the bulkhead is much wider. Does that mess with the strength you think?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was the tank builder's screw up and 1" bulkheads will fit flange and all through the holes that are there you could ask the builder to make an acrylic plate with the appropriate holes in it and send it to you along with some solvent then just glue the new plate onto the bottom...

However if they are for 1 1/2" bulkheads, honestly I'd probably step up all your plumbing to the 1 1/2"

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although 1" drains are adequate for your 125. Beananimal suggests that 1.5" is the smallest diameter used to get the best results. And that's probably the standard in which the company cut the holes to. It's an easy fix now rather than later. Spending a few extra dollars on 1.5" plumbing would result in less headache later on.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the glass in your tank, or the bottom of the external overflow?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It appears to be drilled for SCH 80 1-1/2" bulkheads

See here

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup my bad, was quickly reading the brs site
It appears to be drilled for SCH 80 1-1/2" bulkheads

See here

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back