New to brain coral

msobus811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first brain coral and first coral ever I had the coral in the tank for three days now and this is the first time that I see their mouths open (see in picture) could someone tell me what this means?

1B1A295E-7479-4F76-B73C-F1A777285296.jpeg

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there - where did you obtain the coral from?

Do you know your water parameters?

My brain corals will open their mouths when they are feeding or when expelling waste. Have you seen any feeder tentacles extended?

OP
OP
M

msobus811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there - where did you obtain the coral from?

Do you know your water parameters?

My brain corals will open their mouths when they are feeding or when expelling waste. Have you seen any feeder tentacles extended?
I got it from a local marine store not like a petco or anything like that my water parameters are where they should be and I have seen them in the morning I’m going to try to feed them but the guy I got them from
Said since this is my first and only coral in the tank not to feed it is that true?

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it get acclimated to your tank for a while first, definitely a few days or a week at least. It will take any coral a while to get adjusted to new lighting and tank conditions, and sometimes they look a little off until they get settled in.

I see you have it on the sand bed so thats good, always start new corals out lower in the tank and raise them over time as they acclimate to your lights.

Have you done tests on your water or had the fish store test it - do you know what your salinity, alkalinity and ph are? Those are important parameters that you will want to keep a close check on and you'll usually be asked what they are when forum folks are trying to help pinpoint any potential problems in your tank, just FYI on that :).

Check in the morning and see if the mouths are still open or if they've closed back up. It may just be expelling waste.

Good luck and let us know ;Smuggrin

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back