new to corals

kokomareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I have a redsea max e 170 that is about 3 weeks old. I have two clownfish that I got about three days ago they look like they are doing fine but they are always in the back of the tank. I have few questions, what corals would be the best for the clownfish for them to feel more safe? what corals are the best and easy to keep around until my tank gets more matured for something more experienced? if you can post some pictures of your tank so I can get a better idea :). thank you everyone.
IMG_6417.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are clowns and if they eare tank raised they might not venture too far from the back where they feel safe. In the wild they like to hang in long flowing things like anemones, torches ect....

OP
OP
kokomareef

kokomareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are clowns and if they eare tank raised they might not venture too far from the back where they feel safe. In the wild they like to hang in long flowing things like anemones, torches ect....
that's what I've been reading that they tend to stay in the back if they are tank raised. I do hope they can venture around the tank as they get comfortable lol.

Cannons Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones are great for a clownfish but I would wait until your tank is more mature before getting one

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish don’t necessarily feel safer with corals present. Your rock work looks great and can provide some shelter. Clown fish tend to hangout where they want to. Just take things slow. Purchase corals the you like and would have a fighting chance of surviving in a newer tank like yours. Good luck.

OP
OP
kokomareef

kokomareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish don’t necessarily feel safer with corals present. Your rock work looks great and can provide some shelter. Clown fish tend to hangout where they want to. Just take things slowPurchase corals the you like and would have a fighting chance of surviving in a newer tank like yours. Good luck.yea thats
the rock setup was always done in mind to have plenty of little hiding spots (which i read online and saw on youtube vidoes). they have been eating really well so that’s when i noticed that that’s just how they are. however one day night i saw them by the surface of the water and thought ther were dead.
i have a decent idea of what i want to put in my tank for corals and im hoping to start adding some once the tank starts be more stable with coralline algae.
what’s your favorite coral in your tank , the one that makes you say “wow”

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two clowns do the same exact thing unless they're eating. It's typical, especially for captive bred clownfish. One of the most common things I've read on this forum is, "clowns are weird". As long as they're eating, I wouldn't worry about them.

If you'd like to take a look at my tank, which is about 6 months old now, feel free to click on my build thread badge. I have a decent collection of little corals now, and they are all pretty hardy. I would repeat what someone said earlier about getting any beginner corals that you like the look of. Feel free to reply in my build thread with any questions about specific corals you see that look good to you and I'll try to remember their names :)

Last edited:

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a couple months ahead of you and haven’t killed my mushroom, frilly mushroom, Daisy Duke Paly, or candy cane yet. :p
34DC7DE1-9929-4CE2-A37A-79D712C56CA0.jpeg
C31C3284-744E-4039-B573-6356CE770821.jpeg
81AC0237-79C1-49E2-B89F-EF95EFD29EBA.jpeg

204F3DE0-0B5C-454C-9659-AB35A1014F55.jpeg

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are a lot of resources available online on the different types of corals and what are good for beginners or not. In order of easiest to hardest: softies --> LPS --> SPS.

OP
OP
kokomareef

kokomareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a couple months ahead of you and haven’t killed my mushroom, frilly mushroom, Daisy Duke Paly, or candy cane yet. :p
34DC7DE1-9929-4CE2-A37A-79D712C56CA0.jpeg
C31C3284-744E-4039-B573-6356CE770821.jpeg
81AC0237-79C1-49E2-B89F-EF95EFD29EBA.jpeg

204F3DE0-0B5C-454C-9659-AB35A1014F55.jpeg
those zoanthids look amazing!! i already picked a store where im going to be buying all the corals lol. so right now i just want to wait (which is hard to do so haha) for the tank to be a bit more stable.

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I found my clowns to looove Duncan coral and I find them to be very easy to keep, and very interesting to feed them. I would hold out on an anemone especially if you plan to have coral because mine began to move around and plant it’s foot on zoas, euphyllia skeletons, etc. I’m personally looking into possibly getting a toadstool or something in hopes that my clowns would like something like that instead.

OP
OP
kokomareef

kokomareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are a lot of resources available online on the different types of corals and what are good for beginners or not. In order of easiest to hardest: softies --> LPS --> SPS.
totally, ive been going over videos and other forums. but my question is more towards giving people’s personal opinion since some videos dont show too much

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally, ive been going over videos and other forums. but my question is more towards giving people’s personal opinion since some videos dont show too much
I LOVE my David Tyree toadstool. So incredibly hardy and beautiful, with its neon green polyps. 854657C8-529F-447B-BCBF-3DE61E84AF69.jpeg

OP
OP
kokomareef

kokomareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two clowns do the same exact thing unless they're eating. It's typical, especially for captive bred clownfish. One of the most common things I've read on this forum is, "clowns are weird". As long as they're eating, I wouldn't worry about them.

If you'd like to take a look at my tank, which is about 6 months old now, feel free to click on my build thread badge. I have a decent collection of little corals now, and they are all pretty hardy. I would repeat what someone said earlier about getting any beginner corals that you like the look of. Feel free to reply in my build thread with any questions about specific corals you see that look good to you and I'll try to remember their names :)
You have such an amazing tank!! how are your parameters? what are you dosing them? i feel like ill be getting alot of zoanthids lol

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I found my clowns to looove Duncan coral and I find them to be very easy to keep, and very interesting to feed them. I would hold out on an anemone especially if you plan to have coral because mine began to move around and plant it’s foot on zoas, euphyllia skeletons, etc. I’m personally looking into possibly getting a toadstool or something in hopes that my clowns would like something like that instead.
My clown loved the Duncans too. I was always worried he was beating them to death, but they kept growing. Very cool coral

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have such an amazing tank!! how are your parameters? what are you dosing them? i feel like ill be getting alot of zoanthids lol
Thank you so much for the kind compliment! I definitely am happy with it, considering I just started this hobby in March this year.

To be completely honest, I have a whole slew of Salifert test kits that I haven’t even used yet. I monitor my salinity biweekly when I do my water changes to make sure I’m keeping it right at 1.025, and my temp is kept between 77 and 80. Other than that, since I don’t dose, I haven’t felt the need to test other parameters ever since my tank finished cycling. My regular water maintenance consists of biweekly canister filter teardown cleanings and 15-20% water changes. The water changes replenish my minerals sufficiently to keep my corals happy.

Last edited:

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I’d highly recommend a nice big zoa garden, and you definitely don’t need to pay a premium for designer names to get a variety of colors! My most expensive zoa frags were like 20 bucks and I’m batting 1000 with keeping them alive (even the one that I accidentally crushed and cracked in half because I pushed too hard when trying to superglue it to my rock was doing well again after a couple weeks of looking ticked off).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back