New to dosing

Fifty8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I just recieved a doser as a gift. I have no idea what I'm doing lol and I only have maybe 10 frags in a 90 gallon system. I was wondering if it would be better to dose to the parameters I want and add coral until those levels start declining? Or load the tank with coral and worry about dosing later?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I just recieved a doser as a gift. I have no idea what I'm doing lol and I only have maybe 10 frags in a 90 gallon system. I was wondering if it would be better to dose to the parameters I want and add coral until those levels start declining? Or load the tank with coral and worry about dosing later?

Exactly, test your parameters you would like to maintain. Based on how much the corals are consuming you will dose to maintain for example you would like you alk at 8.0 and the alk tests at 7.9 it you test daily, your system is consuming .01 dkh daily. Dose enough to maintain 8.0. It takes a little tweaking over a couple of weeks. When you add more corals your system will consume more and as the coral grow the system will consume more. There are quite a few products out there to dose. You will need to decide on a 2 part dosing or the balling method.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I am leaning towards be a 2 part. I want my alk between 8-9. I feel much better. Sometimes we can make things more difficult lol

What doser did you receive?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not place your frags and monitor them for a while. THEN decide if dosing is warranted...

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok nice! I just got back in town so I will be setting mine up as well.

Thanks

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good! I haven’t started yet still. I think I’m just worried that it will malfunction or I won’t test enough :)

Back