New to dosing

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. So I just keep raising my alk until it stabilizes around what I want. That’s a 9. Now calc and alk will be different mils right? What do you mean when you match alk and calc?

Thanks for responding
Most people who dose a 2-part will choose one that is "balanced". Basically, 10ml of the calcium solution will support the exact same amount of coral growth as 10ml of alkalinity growth. If you are dosing one of these balanced 2-parts then dose the same amount of calc as you do alk and they should both stay stable.

Hope that makes sense.

FYI, a drop in alkalinity of 2.8dKH should give you a 15-20ppm drop in calcium.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an FYI I did a quick calculation for you. I made 2 assumptions, so let me know if I'm off and I can make some changes.
First assumption is that you used Randy's Recipe 1, which is the most popular 2-part sold by BRS.
Second assumption was around 11og total volume.

Had your alkalinity been perfectly constant from dosing and doing nothing to increase calcium you should need to add 220ml of alk solution to get a 15 to 20ppm drop in calcium.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calc will drop at a much slower rate than alk because it is consumed at a much lower rate. Add in some measurement error and accuracy issues from using hobby level test kits and you may not have a problem.
I wouldn't worry about it until you get it down where you want it and then start dosing to maintain. If calc starts climbing when you match alk and calc dosing, then you may have an issue.

Ok thanks. So I just keep raising my alk until it stabilizes around what I want. That’s a 9. Now calc and alk will be different mils right? What do you mean when you match alk and calc?

Thanks for responding
Just as an FYI I did a quick calculation for you. I made 2 assumptions, so let me know if I'm off and I can make some changes.
First assumption is that you used Randy's Recipe 1, which is the most popular 2-part sold by BRS.
Second assumption was around 11og total volume.

Had your alkalinity been perfectly constant from dosing and doing nothing to increase calcium you should need to add 220ml of alk solution to get a 15 to 20ppm drop in calcium.

You have assumed right. I think the tank is like 105g. but 110g will work.

As of now im dosing 40ml of alk. 0 cal. Your saying that my alk and cal should be the same?

Also, seems scary to add 220ml of alk per day when im adding 40ml. Just wondering. Also if I pump my alk up what should i bump my cal to? I have a lot of corals and im just very worried on hurting them.

Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly recommend keeping Alk around 8dKH for a new reefer. Maybe even as low as 7dKH. While 9dKH is fine, my experience is that higher alkalinities are more susceptible to problems.

As of now im dosing 40ml of alk. 0 cal. Your saying that my alk and cal should be the same?
It depends on what supplements you are using but if it is something like BRS 2 part then yes, if you are dosing 40ml per day of alk you should dose 40ml of calc per day to keep things constant.
If you are using something like Redsea alk and calc, you will need to add them at different rates.

Also, seems scary to add 220ml of alk per day when im adding 40ml. Just wondering. Also if I pump my alk up what should i bump my cal to? I have a lot of corals and im just very worried on hurting them.
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't recommending 220ml per day, that would be a disaster. I was only trying to see if you are getting the expected results. If you have dosed a total of around 220ml of alk solution over the last 10 days then the observed 20ppm drop in Calc is exactly what you you should have expected.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly recommend keeping Alk around 8dKH for a new reefer. Maybe even as low as 7dKH. While 9dKH is fine, my experience is that higher alkalinities are more susceptible to problems.

It depends on what supplements you are using but if it is something like BRS 2 part then yes, if you are dosing 40ml per day of alk you should dose 40ml of calc per day to keep things constant.
If you are using something like Redsea alk and calc, you will need to add them at different rates.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't recommending 220ml per day, that would be a disaster. I was only trying to see if you are getting the expected results. If you have dosed a total of around 220ml of alk solution over the last 10 days then the observed 20ppm drop in Calc is exactly what you you should have expected.

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, Im using BRS 2 part system. So I will continue to does my alk at 40ml and I will turn on my calc at 40mil as well correct? Should I start my calc slow or just jump it to 40ml. I will continue to test DAILY for a few weeks. The reason why I turned off my calc its because it was up close to 500 and I thought by dosing calc it would only raise that number. Sense I have started dosing my corals already are improving in life.

Thanks

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the only reason why I was shooting for a 9kh is because in the BRS videos it says they keep it around a 9 also my saltwater.com card said from a 9-12 lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will continue to does my alk at 40ml and I will turn on my calc at 40mil as well correct?
Wait until your calcium is where you want it and then start dosing it.

Should I start my calc slow or just jump it to 40ml
It will be fine if you jump straight into what it takes to match alk.

The reason why I turned off my calc its because it was up close to 500 and I thought by dosing calc it would only raise that number.
You did the correct thing.

Also the only reason why I was shooting for a 9kh is because in the BRS videos it says they keep it around a 9 also my saltwater.com card said from a 9-12 lol
BRS aren't exactly what I would call "new reefers" ;)
Here is a snip from, and a link to, a RFH article. You can see natural ocean levels are 7dKH. I find the lower end to be more stable. I personally like 8dKH. I accidentally overshot while raising it last month and got to 9.5dKH and lost a few SPS pieces. This was raising it from 7dKH to 9.5dKH over 3 weeks.
upload_2018-10-18_8-24-7.png

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until your calcium is where you want it and then start dosing it.

It will be fine if you jump straight into what it takes to match alk.

You did the correct thing.

BRS aren't exactly what I would call "new reefers" ;)
Here is a snip from, and a link to, a RFH article. You can see natural ocean levels are 7dKH. I find the lower end to be more stable. I personally like 8dKH. I accidentally overshot while raising it last month and got to 9.5dKH and lost a few SPS pieces. This was raising it from 7dKH to 9.5dKH over 3 weeks.
upload_2018-10-18_8-24-7.png

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Great! I'm understanding now. I will be turning on my calc to 40ml tonight and keep testing!

What happens when I do a water change? I assume these numbers will temp increase but over time they just level back out? What should I expect from that?

Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! I'm understanding now. I will be turning on my calc to 40ml tonight and keep testing!

What happens when I do a water change? I assume these numbers will temp increase but over time they just level back out? What should I expect from that?

Thanks
I recommend picking a salt mix that matches as close as possible to the tank parameters you are trying to maintain. This way, when you do a water change, you don't cause a big shift in parameters.

I use RedSea blue bucket because at 1.026 it comes close to 8dKH alk and 420 Calc, which is where I like to be.
upload_2018-10-18_13-18-15.png

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend picking a salt mix that matches as close as possible to the tank parameters you are trying to maintain. This way, when you do a water change, you don't cause a big shift in parameters.

I use RedSea blue bucket because at 1.026 it comes close to 8dKH alk and 420 Calc, which is where I like to be.

Ok, I used reef crystals.

Reef Crystals 490 13 1440

I guess that will cause a swing a? My local guy does not like Red Sea. He said he lost a ton of fish when switching over but makes sense what your saying. So you keep your calc around 420 and alk around 8 then. "Seems like you know your stuff, so I guess it's ok to follow your way ha."

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess that will cause a swing a? My local guy does not like Red Sea. He said he lost a ton of fish when switching over but makes sense what your saying. So you keep your calc around 420 and alk around 8 then. "Seems like you know your stuff, so I guess it's ok to follow your way ha."
There are many reefers who do better than I, but I try to learn from them. Reef Crystals is what I started with. It's good for people who want to do smaller regular water changes to maintain alk and calc. Since you are going to be dosing, no reason to use salts with high alk/calc content. I believe stability is key and matching your salt to your desired parameters improves stability imo.

By the way... I've never heard of anyone losing fish due to changing salts, that doesn't make much sense. Fish don't care about the water parameters nearly as much as coral. As long as you don't cause major salinity swings (easily avoided with a refractometer) the fish won't care.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are many reefers who do better than I, but I try to learn from them. Reef Crystals is what I started with. It's good for people who want to do smaller regular water changes to maintain alk and calc. Since you are going to be dosing, no reason to use salts with high alk/calc content. I believe stability is key and matching your salt to your desired parameters improves stability imo.

By the way... I've never heard of anyone losing fish due to changing salts, that doesn't make much sense. Fish don't care about the water parameters nearly as much as coral. As long as you don't cause major salinity swings (easily avoided with a refractometer) the fish won't care.

Good info. Ya, I don’t understand why it would hurt fish. I also agree it don’t make sense.

So I just turned on the calc to 40ml and kept my alk at 40ml. Also my alk went up to 7.9 today from yesterday adjustment.

6B38F75B-61FC-409D-8B70-AB09C48B044F.png

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good info. Ya, I don’t understand why it would hurt fish. I also agree it don’t make sense.

So I just turned on the calc to 40ml and kept my alk at 40ml. Also my alk went up to 7.9 today from yesterday adjustment.

6B38F75B-61FC-409D-8B70-AB09C48B044F.png
What was it yesterday, 7.7?

If it was, I'd try knocking it down to 36 tomorrow.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you are climbing too fast at 40ml. Small changes are good.

I have a few more buckets of RC. I’m doing a water change today. Every 2 weeks now.

What should I do? No use it? Switch to Red Sea now? Or can I use it and just test a few hours after. I’m worried my calc will be high after this change.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes mess with the relative demand for alk and calcium, as can some other factors, but if you added equal parts you might not be seeing a big difference from what you see without it when demand is low for alk and calcium..

It is fine to not dose the calcium, but it also may not be correct to say you are not using it. Once you see a drop with a kit, the amount you need to add to get back to the starting point might be about as much as you would have been adding all along.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few more buckets of RC. I’m doing a water change today. Every 2 weeks now.

What should I do? No use it? Switch to Red Sea now? Or can I use it and just test a few hours after. I’m worried my calc will be high after this change.

Why would calcium be high?

Also, high calcium is not an issue unless it is above 550 ppm. :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would keep using the RC until it is gone. Not going to be an issue unless you do a large water change and even then you should be ok. I just consider it less than idea but I worry more about Alk than Calc.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back